Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:24 PM   #1

Here's a nice little lens for you birders out there. You might want to enroll in a body builder's course first....oh, and maybe mortgage the house....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pentax-FA-600mm-f...QQcmdZViewItem

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2

I recently had the opportunity to look through the 600mm lens of a C camera. It was wild! They guy was explaining how they have to have at least this length for shooting golf tournaments or they aren't allowed on the course.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:16 AM   #3

Hi Kman,

I'll pass on this one, I'm waiting for the pancake DA*version. Rumor has it that it's length will be reduced from 18 to 12 inches, and will weigh only 10 lbs as opposed to the 15+ of the FA* version. The downside is that it will be a DA* Ltd, and will cost in excess of $10K, but they supply bodyguard service for the first year. . .

:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:47 AM   #4

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I recently had the opportunity to look through the 600mm lens of a C camera. It was wild! They guy was explaining how they have to have at least this length for shooting golf tournaments or they aren't allowed on the course.
I was at the NEC last year at Firestone and talked to a couple of the Professional photographers out there. Htey all shoot Nikon or Canon and carry at LEAST two cams. One with a 500mm or largerprimeon it and they look like canon barrels. Each has a short monopod attached so when they lay on the ground it keeps the lens steady. I would guess its about 8 inches long or so. The second cam looked to have a long zoom on it, if I were to guess(and thats all it would be) I'd say a 75-300 or something similar. I felt sorry for those guys lugging all that equipment around from hole to hole. Thats a lot of stuff banging around while you're trying to get that one perfect shot.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:45 AM   #5

i'll have to pass also.
i posted this in the lens forum.
it would be nice to have but the cost.......
i'll stick to my 500f4.5.. it's a lot cheaper

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:36 PM   #6

Yes, way too much for an amateur if you ask me.....unless you're loaded. Makes the Bigma look that much better......D.

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'll have to pass also.
i posted this in the lens forum.
it would be nice to have but the cost.......
i'll stick to my 500f4.5.. it's a lot cheaper

roy
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:04 PM   #7

I believe Kjell has that lens!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:08 AM   #8

No, Tom, but I'm not very sorry for that. I've got the A* 600 mm f5.6. No AF, half the weight and quite sharp wide open. According to the reviews at Stan's the f4 is so soft at f4 that it's not very usable until stopped down to 5.6.

So what I miss is 3 kg to carry and the possibility to shoot soft pics with no DOF. I can live with that loss. I paid ~2000 USD for mine, definitely a bargain.

Still, due to weight and size it doesn't get that much use. But when it gets, it's a plain joy to shoot with. In the zoo I wouldn't like to be without it.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:25 AM   #9

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Still, due to weight and size it doesn't get that much use. But when it gets, it's a plain joy to shoot with. In the zoo I wouldn't like to be without it.

Kjell
Kjell,

Just green with envy for those weightlifter special. Not even to mention the $$. But for occasion when you need to be a bit away from the subject , you would need that. In younger days I would have bidden for that.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:57 AM   #10

That would be a helluva lens to have but when I factor in the cost + shipping+customs+DIVORCE COSTS, it would be just slightly out of my limits!!!:G:G
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote