Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:32 PM   #11

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Great ones Roger, but nr2 takes the lead for me.

Ronny
Hi Ronny, thanks for the kind words. I used my Sigma 10-20 for the #2 photo and I think I am going to like this lens.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 1:51 PM   #12

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Great capture of the ram, Roger! Looks like those horns could be a good advertisement for headache meds!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
Ron hi to YA!!!! Good idea on using the photo for a advertisement. Thanks for the nice comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:47 PM   #13

An excellent photo. Roy and Bruce asked about the age of this "old" ram. This is certainly an interesting photo. According to the Bighorn Institute fact sheet, rams live 9-12 years. What struck me about this ram was the fact that the horn sheaths are wornthrough to the bony core. While no expert onthe subject, I thought that I at least knew how to roughly age a ram by the growth rings on the horns (like the growth rings on a tree), but I would have guessed this ram was no more than 7 years old, and no older than the others shown in earlier photos (assuming the same group). I sent this photo and queried a veterinarian friend who has worked with Bighornsand he in turn passed the query on to someone with even more experience with them. That person thought the ram was certainly no more than the 7I suggestedand probably even younger. I had advanced three possibilities that had occured to me: (1) either the ram was older than I thought and I didn't know what I was talking about, (2) the ram is the Big Kahuna of his group and gets challenged by every other ram in the area, or (3) it was suffering from disease or malnutrition. There was no opinion expressed on the other two points, or on the degree of wear, and a third person was suggested to be contacted, but although I am still curious, I don't want to make a bigdeal out of this, andI think I have takenit as far as I care to. So there you have it - a ram which is probablynot as old as he looks with severely worn horns for whatever reason. --- Sometimes , Roger, a picture can be too good! :whack:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:18 PM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
An excellent photo. Roy and Bruce asked about the age of this "old" ram. This is certainly an interesting photo. According to the Bighorn Institute fact sheet, rams live 9-12 years. What struck me about this ram was the fact that the horn sheaths are wornthrough to the bony core. While no expert onthe subject, I thought that I at least knew how to roughly age a ram by the growth rings on the horns (like the growth rings on a tree), but I would have guessed this ram was no more than 7 years old, and no older than the others shown in earlier photos (assuming the same group). I sent this photo and queried a veterinarian friend who has worked with Bighornsand he in turn passed the query on to someone with even more experience with them. That person thought the ram was certainly no more than the 7I suggestedand probably even younger. I had advanced three possibilities that had occured to me: (1) either the ram was older than I thought and I didn't know what I was talking about, (2) the ram is the Big Kahuna of his group and gets challenged by every other ram in the area, or (3) it was suffering from disease or malnutrition. There was no opinion expressed on the other two points, or on the degree of wear, and a third person was suggested to be contacted, but although I am still curious, I don't want to make a bigdeal out of this, andI think I have takenit as far as I care to. So there you have it - a ram which is probablynot as old as he looks with severely worn horns for whatever reason. --- Sometimes , Roger, a picture can be too good! :whack:
Penolta thanks for the information and the link. I was wrong again I figured he was just old and beat up.

thanks again.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:36 PM   #15

Both great shots Roger, the craggy ruggedness of your area is really beautiful. Now you need to get some of two rams locking horns.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:50 PM   #16

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Both great shots Roger, the craggy ruggedness of your area is really beautiful. Now you need to get some of two rams locking horns.

Tim
Tim I would like to get over to the cliffs durring the rut. If I can find the time I want to do that. Thanks for looking and for the nice comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger