Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:57 PM   #11

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
I shoot with a K100D but noticed this on my last trip, every time I use the guides on the focus screen to line up a horizon line I end up with a tilt (the same exact tilt), I'm hoping it's the screen and not the sensor lined up wrong in the camera!
Okay. I know it's only been 7 days without my camera, but I can't believe I don't remember seeing a "focus screen" to line my horizon up on. I've only used the corners of my viewfinder if I remember correctly. I'm going to look in my manual now!

Hopefully, I'll be getting my camera back any day. I may call Pentax tomorrow just to know they have it. Even though I have confirmation from UPS they did receive it Friday night.

I do know that I've had a couple of tilted photos, but thought it was the SR doing it's thing. Or, maybe just my unsteady hands.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:22 AM   #12

ok

i can say its the sensor on my dital cameras

but what about all my film shots?

crooked film?
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:50 AM   #13

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Well I sent my K10D into Pentax in Canada last week, as like many others, my horizons were askew - mine to the right by about .9 degrees.
Theory number 3:

The higher molecular density of Canadian beer!! This often causes tilted horizons (in more ways than one).:lol:

Seriously, I find it difficult to get horizons straight anyway (no beer comments please) but it is curious that so many of your images have the same amount of tilt. My errors are random errors, caused by me and all different, yours do indicate a systematic error which implies an actual problem with the viewing system, or sensor, of your camera. I think the most likely source of this type of error is the fact that the sensor is movable in these cameras and may be locking in a slightly askew position. I don't know if this would actually be a recognizable error to a technician unless they new exactly what to look for (a service memo from Pentax, much as auto makers supply their service centres with service bulletins to fix common problems that do not warrant a recall).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:08 PM   #14

Hi - I registered purely to take part in this post as I Googled - K10D and tilt. This is because I have exactly the same problem as the original poster and I think it is very serious indeed. I know that I have a well trained eye and have always been very careful about lining up my images and never had any issue before with film cameras or another DSLR I have used. But this is chronic - almost everything is tilted and by a fair amount - I have to correct every photo and that should not be the case. This is such a serious defect I am considering abandoning the whole brand and moving to Canon - which I never wanted to do.
cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:41 PM   #15

I'm with Monza76 in a previous reply, I too have great difficulty in getting horizons leve - possible because they are not straight in front but leading away at an angle.

My perception is that when a subject is viewed through the viewfinder, the brain sees it exactly as it is irrespective of where the camera is in relationship to the horizontal. When the image is subsequently viewed, it will assume the angular relationship to the position of the camera to the horizon.

I too use the guide lines in the viewfinder.

I'm used to sorting this out in PS & just accept that it's one of those things.

As to whether the sensor is correctly fitted is another matter. I think that a tripod and subject where the horizon is staight ahead would show this up.

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:19 PM   #16

I've read about some K10 cameras that seem to be affectedby this. TheK10 I sold (when I upgraded to the K20)didn't have that problem at all, and neither does my K20, or, for that matter, my K100. If your K10 is still under warranty, send it in to see if they will repair it. Or try another camera. But I wouldn't use this as an excuse to switch brands - change brands because the other one offers you something else that you want that Pentax doesn't have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:47 PM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've read about some K10 cameras that seem to be affectedby this. TheK10 I sold (when I upgraded to the K20)didn't have that problem at all, and neither does my K20, or, for that matter, my K100. If your K10 is still under warranty, send it in to see if they will repair it. Or try another camera. But I wouldn't use this as an excuse to switch brands - change brands because the other one offers you something else that you want that Pentax doesn't have.
My K10D seems to have no problems either

Operator error seems to be the most common reason for all camera issues regardless of brand. Recently I actually tested the alcohol induced horizon tilt hypothesis, it seems that it is quite accurate. As for the K10D specific problem I think it may well be related to the SR system.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:26 PM   #18

My Bibble RAW converter software has a really good tool for setting the horizons eaxactly straight.

With this in mind, while I try to keep the horizons level, I do not stress about it when taking the photo.

I regard it as just another one of those small adjustment required in processing to get the best out of images.

I use a K10D and and *istDS

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:55 AM   #19

This is an interesting topic. If I am not concentrating in keeping my horizon straight, it won't be. With me its not the camera. But as I am shooting it seems as if I have toovercompensate and tiltthe camera to get it right. But at least my focusing screen and sensor are lined up.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:09 AM   #20

I also find my horizons areusually off by one or two degrees when hand-holding my K100D. Funny thing, though, as this was also an issue with my Panasonic FZ30, and my FZ20 before that, and with film cameras as well. It's always between one and two degrees, always in the same direction, no matter how muchI try to think about it while composing a shot.

The beer theory sounds very valid, but this situation occurs for me in all states of "awareness." How odd thatI have a unique talent for purchasing cameras that are all askew by just a little bit!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote