Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:32 AM   #1

Well I sent my K10D into Pentax in Canada last week, as like many others, my horizons were askew - mine to the right by about .9 degrees. I wanted to send in my FA*200 f/2.8 for calibration, so decided to send in the K10D along with the lens, and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

I talked to the repair centre yesterday, and the fellow I've been dealing with said the k10 is fine, and nothing wrong with it. So I asked him if it's possible that maybe Pentax has a design flaw in the K10D, and he actually said that that may well be. I thought this to be a little strange, but maybe not out of the ordinary (having a design flaw). Being only a Pentax DSLR owner, and never having had any of the other brands, I'm not sure if tolerances of this type of problem are common place or not. It isn't that big a deal, as it's an easy fix in ps, but I thought maybe they could alleviate the problem while still on warranty. Seems they cannot.

Does anyone else know if the other brands have tilted sensors or focus screens as a common problem, or is it just the K10D. My other Pentax bodies never had this problem. Line up the focus screen markers on a tripod, and they were bang on....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:50 AM   #2

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else know if the other brands have tilted sensors or focus screens as a common problem, or is it just the K10D. My other Pentax bodies never had this problem. Line up the focus screen markers on a tripod, and they were bang on....Don
You've hit my biggest problem on the head - remembering to line up the focus screen markers! The one thing I would do when I get the camera back is give it another try and see if it's been changed or not. If it is different, then perhaps your focus screen wasn't quite seated right? Since they are removable, there might be something going on with that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:00 AM   #3

Two things may be going on here, and shooting lots of sunsets over water see it myself frequently.

1 If you are shooting the horizon not straight on (perdendicular... straight out from where ever you are) it will seem tilted.

2 The other is paying more attention to seeing other things in the frame as level... like clouds, buildings, etc.

But with even the most basic electronic darkroom software capable of custom image (few degree) rotation... I've not found it a major issue.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:45 AM   #4

I shoot with a K100D but noticed this on my last trip, every time I use the guides on the focus screen to line up a horizon line I end up with a tilt (the same exact tilt), I'm hoping it's the screen and not the sensor lined up wrong in the camera!
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:34 AM   #5

... and I thought it was just me. I've never noticed any serious horizon tilt in my pictures until I stated shooting with my K100d. (Then again, I've never taken so many pictures in such a short period of time as I have with my K100d.)

I'll have to do some experimenting when I get home. I suspect its it me, and not my camera, becasue not all of my pictures are tilted. The ones that are, are always titled the same way. I thought I had developed a bad habit - that perhaps I was holding the camera strangely.
thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:48 AM   #6

I noticed that Pentax claims that the SR feature also deals with rotational motion, which means that the sensor can rotate slightly during SR operation. Perhaps this is enough to cause the <1 degree rotation in images that were properly framed in the viewfinder. Given the number of responses to this I do not think it is fair to write it of as operator-error.

This is just a theory, anyone know the details?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7

I just wish I did a good enough job on horizons to notice a <1 degree difference! When mine are off (which they often are) it is a matter of five, six or more degrees. Oh, and it is certainly me, not the camera. I pay too much attention to the subject and not enough to what is in the background.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:56 PM   #8

I'll have to check the images I have that're off and see if I was using SR or not. Some of them were on a tripod, but it's possible I forgot to deactivate it..
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:21 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I just wish I did a good enough job on horizons to notice a <1 degree difference! When mine are off (which they often are) it is a matter of five, six or more degrees. Oh, and it is certainly me, not the camera. I pay too much attention to the subject and not enough to what is in the background.

Tim
I know what you mean, I have renamed the crop tool to the straightener since I use it to fix my wonky horizons. I have no SR to blame it on since I shoot with a DL and DS.

Ira
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:24 PM   #10

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Well I sent my K10D into Pentax in Canada last week, as like many others, my horizons were askew - mine to the right by about .9 degrees.
I've got it!!!

Our Canadian horizons are actually tilted because of the curvature of the earth as you head farther north. (anyone who takes this seriously should make an emergency call on a geographer for treatment)

:lol:

Ira