Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2007, 2:41 PM   #1

A few times now, I've come to take a picture and suddenly there's a warning "Card not formatted". (When the card definitely HAS been formatted and has been taking good pictures prior to this fault). I can usually get most of the pictures back with "Recover my files" (A really excellent file recovery program from a firm called GetData). Nonetheless, it's a nuisance to be out on a shoot and suddenly be unable to take any more pictures, without formatting the card in the camera. (I don't like to do this as it might cause subsequent overwriting of otherwise recoverable pictures).

My question is:- Is this a card fault (ie, no big deal) or is it some weird fault that the camera is causing?

irivlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2007, 3:17 PM   #2

irivlin,

really don't know, the only thing you can do is put a another card in the camera and see if the problem occurs again. When it doesn't I would blame it on the card otherwise ... (the problem might not be so easy to fix).

If it's the card its easy to replace - if it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.

anyway good luck
Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:42 PM   #3

ronny's right. you need to find out if it's the card or the camera. most namebrand cards have a lifetime warranty. hopefully if it's the cam it's in warranty also.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 7:51 PM   #4

The problem is, that I've only had this happen three times and it's been over two months. I own two SD cards and I can't remember whther it's always been with the "PULSE" 133x SD card or the Sandisk 1GB card. (It happened with the Pulse card yesterday....

Any idea what the SandisK ExtremeIII 2GB SD cards are like?

Ian

PS just bought a Sigma 10-20mm EX Di zoom lens. So far I'm really impressed. The results are tack sharp and the lens maintains the verticals and horizontals quite well. Any small aberations are easily managed with Photoshop's lens correction faciltity. I also bought a Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro 1:1 lens. The reults are really sharp but it has bad problems autofocusing on almost everything (near, medium or far), so I have to use it, almost always, as a manual focus lens. Has anyone had any experiences with this problem?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:39 AM   #5

irivlin wrote:
Quote:
PS just bought a Sigma 10-20mm EX Di zoom lens. So far I'm really impressed.
I'd be happy to see some pictures, a super wide is on my wishlist.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:24 AM   #6

I thought I'd sent the two files through but they don't seemed to have appeared.

You can view them on my website:-

http://www.rivlin.com/_IGP0846.jpg

and

http://www.rivlin.com/_IGP0846_PS.jpg

I had to keep downsizing them and compressing them (I kept getting a message that the files were too large to send) - The picture quality has really suffered as a result. Let me know if you need other pics.

and

http://www.rivlin.com/_IGP0851.jpg

and

http://www.rivlin.com/_IGP0843.jpg

The two last ones (0851 and 0843) are less compressed but no alteration to the lens distortion has been made. Bear in mind that all shots were taken in poor light, at 1600 asa, in jpg format - not a good idea for a K10D, which performs so much better in .RAW - and shot at around 1/10th second. ie, you're seeing the pics in their very worst possible state. (Having said that, they're not that bad).

Let me know if you need more (and better ones).

Final word - I have shot 35mm films on a Leica R4, using a 15mm Leica lens. I don't think the Leica, using 100asa film, gave results as good as the K10D gives with this lens - rated at 400asa. The distortion was no better and the vignetting - if anything - was probably worse.

Ian

Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:37 AM   #7

irivlin wrote
Quote:
Any idea what the SandisK ExtremeIII 2GB SD cards are like?

Ian
Ian,

Got one of those and in comparison with the other cards I have (panasonic class4, or kingston) it's more than fast. I have never had to wait to see the buffer empty with it. Most of the time this is the card that is in my camera and the others are backup.

Only one very minor drawback, it wont work in the sd cardslot of my laptop.
But my laptop downloads images from the cam at more than 4x using an usb cable.

Ronny
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:43 AM   #8

Ian,

Quote:
The results are tack sharp and the lens maintains the verticals and horizontals quite well.
those shots are impressive - one more to look for ... the money I mean :?

Ronny
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:49 AM   #9

They are a lot more impressive when you see them at full resolution and having been shot in RAW. Have a look at a posting that I've just made in this forum. There are pointers to some much nicer pictures.