Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:26 PM   #11

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,Dawg and Ronny for the nice words...Scott, I have heard of that focus trap before but wasn't quite sure what it meant..thanks for the explanation.Now if it ever cools off up here I am going to have to get out and try that. (Crazy hot here right now..111F).Seems the only time we can get out and do anything is frst thing in the morning but that works for me as thats when the bugs are just waking up and are still a little dozy and my caffine shake is not a factor..lol.I will look up that flash thread this evening.I have read a little about ring flash..would that be good for this kind of photography?..Thanks again all for looking..
lisa
Sounds more like Alabama than Manitoba.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:46 PM   #12

Quote:
kashka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,Kjell!..lol..you don't know how many photos I took just to get those.lisa
lisa, you're acting like the lone ranger.. of course he knows. just as ronny knows and i know and anyone else shooting macros knows. i've pretty much got this down and there are still times i shoot 25 shots and not one of them make it.

to me, off camera flash and macros go together like 2 peas in a pod. it's not cheap tho. i made a grip and got the neccessary cords and put together a macro rig. it works for me.

also get a 1/2'' rod about 6' long and hold it in your left hand along with the cam. it acts as a fast adjustable monopod.

and remember that it takes a lot of practice. use the lean in/out technique for focus and shoot bursts. i usually shoot in 3-5 shot bursts.

roy

edit: you seem to have a talent for this. don't waste it. i know people that just can not take macros. patience is the name of the game.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:52 PM   #13

try spiders too. they're cool also

roy
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:36 PM   #14

Thankyou,Roy....I won't even pretend to understand your setup there but it looks pretty impressive as are your photos!Those eyes are amazing!! I know there's a flash in my future but what kind..I do not know..something else to research and learn about....I took a few of a spider this morning but couldn't get the right parts in focus but hopefully someday I will...they look so cool closeup..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:32 PM   #15

Awesome Dragons, you did very well.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:45 PM   #16

Wow, you did those freehand?

As the others, I suggest a tripod.
I'll also add if possible use a remote shutter release cable and a focusing rail like the
Manfrotto micro positioning rail.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Plate.html

I use it with a little quick release monopod head mounted on top.
It makes fine adjustments very easy.

Also as Robar mentioned try a flash, which should allow you to use a small aperture to get the depth of field up.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:03 AM   #17

i've never used a tripod for macros.

the eyes were shot using the 105mm + 63mm Ex tubes + 2x teleconverter + flash and the polepod i mentioned. the whole setup is about a foot long.

roy
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:54 AM   #18

Roy - just a thought on your first rig with the flash horizontal. If you don't have the DS, then would you get the correct flash exposure?

What I mean is, the flash sensor is pointed straight down, and the newer Pentax uses P-TTL, not TTL.

Not having the necessary cables yet (still on my shopping list) I cannot test this.

Anyone else been able to test?

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:14 AM   #19

Roy, double wow :!:
Trying to hold that rig steady and focused without a tripod is mind boggling :lol:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:32 PM   #20

darrin,
it'll only work with the D & DS because they use TTL. i'm assuming the i could use the 2x and the 105 on any of the other models as both are A lenses. pentax really peeved me when they dropped TTL on the later models.

roy