Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:36 PM   #21

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Roy, double wow :!:
Trying to hold that rig steady and focused without a tripod is mind boggling :lol:
peter, i was shooting straight down for the eyeball shoot. that's the only way you can with off camera flash when set up this way. unless you have 3 hands

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:51 PM   #22

robar wrote:
Quote:
darrin,
it'll only work with the D & DS because they use TTL. i'm assuming the i could use the 2x and the 105 on any of the other models as both are A lenses. pentax really peeved me when they dropped TTL on the later models.

roy
Cheers Roy, I thought that was the case, but thought I would double-check.

Losing TTL was probably the worst mistake any camera manufacturer has made.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:44 PM   #23

i felt that shooting horizontally the lens would have pulled that really nice stainless steel chassis out of the poly body.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:56 PM   #24

Wonderful shots! I have a monopod that I bought at an REI store - it doubles as a walking stick but has a screw for a tripod head on the top. I actually don't mount the camera on the head all that much - I use it like Roy does his 6 foot pole (which would be way too tall for me). I hold it in my left hand along with the camera, and slide up and down the pole a bit to fine-tune the focus. It's another balance point and really helps to stabilize me and the camera.

I keep thinking about a flash, and that's on my list of things to buy, right after the lens I'm buying within the next two weeks (I hope), a wide angle of some sort, and perhaps a macro lens to replace the Phoenix (it's AF and the focus mechanism isn't the greatest. Optics are still good but no where near THIS good).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 11:31 PM   #25

You know I have a monopod I bought a couple years ago when I bought my first digital ( Kodak 6490) and I think I used all of one time..I was thinking about using it when he mentioned the six foot pole idea(like you that's too tall for me also..lol) and now that I know it would suffice I will try it out!..Every bit helps as I really find it shaky when you get so close.A flash is in my future also..just have to research it a little more.Thankyou for the kind words and good luck with your quest for a new lens!..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:51 PM   #26

kashka wrote:
Quote:
You know I have a monopod I bought a couple years ago when I bought my first digital ( Kodak 6490) and I think I used all of one time..I was thinking about using it when he mentioned the six foot pole idea(like you that's too tall for me also..lol) and now that I know it would suffice I will try it out!..Every bit helps as I really find it shaky when you get so close.A flash is in my future also..just have to research it a little more.Thankyou for the kind words and good luck with your quest for a new lens!..
lisa
A tripod is better for the still shots Lisa, but the monopod will travel better. You can leave it attached and then just extend it as much as needed. More compact and more portability.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:08 PM   #27

Very nice for your first attempt!

I use the focus trap technique. No tripod. External flash is a must have accessory.

Keep them coming.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 8:21 PM   #28

As everyone else has said, those are very nice first macros. I fall into the "never used a tripod" camp for macros. I suppose it would be handy for flowers on a stillday but I can't see it being too useful for most insects. IMO a flashgun is a nice accessory but most of the time I just aim for bright sunlight and forget the flash.

Take your aperture down to as small as you can for depth of field. At least one of your shots was at 1/500, you probably could have stopped down another f/stop. The final piece of advice I could give from my limited pool of knowledge would be to try (when possible) to have your lens as close to parallel to your subject as possible to maximize your limited DOF. Of course, this is not always possible with moving insects.

Congratulations, I think you will really enjoy macro photography,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:06 AM   #29

excellent first attempts
especially hand held
any support is better than non
even leaning against a tree
keep practising
it only gets better
and more fun

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:52 AM   #30

Well I cannot thankyou all enough for looking and all the wonderful advice you have offered.I can hardly wait to get out and try!Once this weather gets back to normal and I can actually stand outside without melting I may burn thru a couple set of batteries in record time..lol.My tripod and monopod are dusted off and ready for use.....Again thanks so much ..you all have given me inspiration to go out and practice,practice...:|
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote