Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:35 PM   #1

Finally got a chance to get outside this weekend and so I tried out the Kiron 105mm on some dragonflies and I think a damselfly (we call them "flying sticks"). Boy..one certainly has to try and have a steady hand when you are up that close.Any pointers or advice is greatly appreciated as I am still pretty new to this up close world.
lisa
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:38 PM   #2

Dragonfly lips?
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:39 PM   #3

A "flying stick"..not flying..
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:40 PM   #4

Lunch time..
Attached Images

Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:12 PM   #5

If those are newbie pics, you really have spent your life this far with an unknown talent!

Not that it looks like you really need it, but a tripod is alwayshandy when shooting macro (if the subject is helpful enough to sit still for a few seconds, at least). I use a tiny tripod I got as a "gift" from a film developer. If I dont extend the legs it's actually pretty sturdy, and thanks to its small size I can getclose to what I want to shoot. It's also easy to hold it against a wall orbig stone or such.

Kjell

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:52 PM   #6

Thanks,Kjell!..lol..you don't know how many photos I took just to get those.I just won this lens on Ebay last week as I really wanted to try out closeups..and I think I am going to like it....but it's interesting on learning how to try to get things into focus(diff angles,etc) and figuring out the exposure settings.I really like your idea about the tripod..I wonder do you think a monopod would help out abit?..I took some of these standing in the middle of growing lilac bush and I don't think there would be much room for a tripod as I was doing enough contortions just with my body..hahaha.Thanks for looking and the advice!
lisa
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:00 PM   #7

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,Kjell!..lol..you don't know how many photos I took just to get those.I just won this lens on Ebay last week as I really wanted to try out closeups..and I think I am going to like it....but it's interesting on learning how to try to get things into focus(diff angles,etc) and figuring out the exposure settings.I really like your idea about the tripod..I wonder do you think a monopod would help out abit?..I took some of these standing in the middle of growing lilac bush and I don't think there would be much room for a tripod as I was doing enough contortions just with my body..hahaha.Thanks for looking and the advice!
lisa
Tripod fer sher, Lisa. Very nice closeups.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:30 PM   #8

Hi Lisa,

One trick that you can try is a variation on the "focus trap" technique. With your manual focus lens, set the camera on Auto Focus. Get the focus close, but on the long side, then press the shutter all the way, hold it, and keeping the part of the subject that you want most in focus central in the frame, move the camera slowly closer to the subject. When the AF system senses focus, it'll fire the shutter.

I'm also a believer in external flash, either handheld off camera or on a bracket. I know -- Oh noooooo!. . . something else to spend money on. . .-- but you can accomplish this without spending too much. -- One idea would be to look up the "Flash Thread" on this forum, and the digital slaves that Sarah uses. You don't need a really powerful one since you're working so close with macro, and once you experiment a bit, you don't need auto TTL exposure control for the flash.

An external flash allows you to use those small apertures for greater DOF, and still freeze motion, and they're useful, even in good light since the critters rarely stand still, and the plants they are usually sitting on are usually moving around a bit in the breeze. The focus trap method will also work when using a flash like this.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:30 PM   #9

Lisa for being first shots they are great. Even if they weren't first shots they still be great.

A tripod as Kjell said helps, but for dragon/damselflies I haven't had the chance of having a tripod with me.

Don't worry about the amount of shots needed it's the result that counts. With macros I feel lucky when I get 1 keeper out of 10.

Again great shots

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:30 PM   #10

Thanks,Dawg and Ronny for the nice words...Scott, I have heard of that focus trap before but wasn't quite sure what it meant..thanks for the explanation.Now if it ever cools off up here I am going to have to get out and try that. (Crazy hot here right now..111F).Seems the only time we can get out and do anything is frst thing in the morning but that works for me as thats when the bugs are just waking up and are still a little dozy and my caffine shake is not a factor..lol.I will look up that flash thread this evening.I have read a little about ring flash..would that be good for this kind of photography?..Thanks again all for looking..
lisa