Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:44 PM   #11

don,
my mouth is still agape.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:25 PM   #12

If you ever get a chance to come to Canada...there are some parts where you can see a tremendous variety of animals in the wild. One evening, during dusk I was driving through Riding Mountain National Park (Manitoba) and within 45 minutes saw:

• Black Bear[/*]
  • Timber Wolf[/*]
  • White tail Deer[/*]
  • Bull Moose- huge male happened to be in the middle of a lonely highway as I came around the corner. Needless to say, I stopped..didn't sound horn, just waited till this magnificant beast sauntered off to disappear in the woods[/*]
This is unusual to see so many large animals in such a short time...but if you're in different parts of Canada at the right time..you can see quite a variety. You have to know when and where to be, though.

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
:O:O:O WoW :O:O:O

I haven't even seen one of those in the wild,
figures we don't have much wildlife where I am.

Stunning shot

Ronny

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:30 PM   #13

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:

You have to know when and where to be, though.
or where not to be. depending

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:24 PM   #14

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
* Took this today with my backup ist*D. My K10D is still a guest at the Pentax laboratory. The ole' iist*D body still works pretty good despite it's sluggish performance. Shot with the FA*300 f/4.5 in RAW, ISO 1600, f/8 @ 1/750. Processed then ran NR on it......cheers....Don
Don,

Wow . You took chance on iso 1600 and got away with a keeper like that? Brilliant. Given the same opportunity, I would have done it in 800 but with F5.6 or 7.1. Another testament of the great high iso performance of the 6 mp sensor.
How far the NR works? This is a new frontier we can work on
Thanks for sharing with us.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 7:09 PM   #15

WoW! I am speechless... great shot!!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:36 PM   #16

I think I'm with gumnut.....time for me to give up, send my K10d to Don where it'll get better use...then retire from photography.

Simply an amazing eagle shot.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:22 PM   #17

Don

Fantasic Shot!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:52 PM   #18

Thanks very much everyone. Didn't think this'd get this type of reaction. Where to start...

Yes, the ist*D I think is one excellent camera. The only thing I don't really like about it is the slow buffer....other than that, I'd put it up against anything else in its class. I still wish they'd made a 6mp body with all the k10d's features. High ISO on the 6 mp body is better than the 10mp they crammed onto the k10d. I have very few shots at ISO 1600 on the K10D that are useable, whereas with the ist series, I have many that are just fine with a little pp'ing work.

Glenn - I shot this on a little foot bridge that crosses over a small inlet at our local wildlife sanctuary. I was a little above the height of the bird, so lucked out with a different angle for a flight shot.

Daniel - it was far from brilliant and more about luck. I'd been yaking to a guy I know at the sanctuary for about 10 minutes, and I think I'd inadvertently been fiddling with the aperture setting, and thus it ended up on f/8....had no idea it was at f/8. I had been shooting all day at ISO 1600, as it was about as bright as the dark side of the moon on Sunday around here. So the ISO was intentional. Heck I wouldn't have even seen it if the guy I was talking to hadn't alerted me to the approaching commotion. I just turned around, tracked it and clicked the shutter for a short burst. Talk about horseshoes where the sun don't shine.

Don't give up trojansoc. We all started at some point. Only advice I could really give is to read, read, read, and then practice.....there's a wealth of great info on photography on this forum, and many of the other forums around....don't give up...just keep moving ahead....cheers....Don

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:05 PM   #19

Awesome picture (I know, I'm a bit late getting around to looking). I'm another one who misses more than I catch (like I had the camera around my neck but didn't think to put it to my eye when a coyote with what looked like a cat in its mouth ran through my next door neighbor's yard Saturday, probably not more than about 50 feet away).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:24 AM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Awesome picture (I know, I'm a bit late getting around to looking). I'm another one who misses more than I catch (like I had the camera around my neck but didn't think to put it to my eye when a coyote with what looked like a cat in its mouth ran through my next door neighbor's yard Saturday, probably not more than about 50 feet away).
Sometimes, even though it is nice to get some great shots, it is even better just watch the scenery, and leave the camera alone.

I find that I cannot always appreciate the event if I have the camera to my eye.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote