Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:20 AM   #11

Well, it stands to reason that something will happen...

1. It is nearing the 1 year mark for the K10D.
2. They are doing the K100D Super, so it isn't too far fetched that something will happen with the K10D before the years end.
3. If it was closer to the original release date of the K10D I would say go for it. However, this time I year is usually when many companies including Panasonic and Pentax make announcements and release new cameras.

We are talking about a good sized $ investment. Givin the time of year, the fact that greedy companies have to replace everything with something slightly better each year and given that if he has waited this long another month or two won't kill him I would wait and see if anything more is heard about a K10D replacement or update.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:23 AM   #12

Oh, I could ask you the same thing. Do you have a link to any facts that says they won't, aren't or can't release an update to the K10D as it approaches the 1 year mark?

My suggestion makes more financial sense than yours telling him to buy a camera that is nearly a year old especially given that greedy camera companies have to replace them each year.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:49 AM   #13

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
2. They are doing the K100D Super, so it isn't too far fetched that something will happen with the K10D before the years end.
The 100D Super is a very minor upgrade despite the term SUPER... mostly putting the second gen K10D SR system into the 100D, likely to CUT production cost of producing two different ones, instead of using the same for both now.

Well I could say, they are also about to release a N D2, C 1D or even 5D equivalent, but likely that will not happen any time soon.

Heck supposedly Canon was coming out with a 40D, and still hasn't happened (likely much because of the K10D... they are going to more than the usual half assed upgrade for a 40D they did with the 10,20,30D.

Rumors are easy... facts are believable... and you said you KNEW they were coming out with a K10D Super.... how do you KNOW?

Other than, a major harware change, it would be much easier to continue do what the have hold onto a great reputation and listen to users and continue the many firmaware upgrades they have, that are functional not just fix.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:42 AM   #14

i have antishake on a 400mm m42 screwmount lens
here is a hand held shot
full frame scaled down

can you do that with any other brand?
i regularly go round second hand shops and pawnbrokers, just to see if they have old Pentax lenses
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:36 AM   #15

This camera is very impressive and I DO like to research before I buy and when I am finally able to Im sure the price will have come down...
Complaints about this cam seem to be that JPG's at default settings are much to be desired and vignetting with kit lens is another and low battery life...according to reviews of the cam...what are some thoughts on this?.
Thanks for all the help that has been offered so far..
Tim
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:58 AM   #16

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
Complaints about this cam seem to be that JPG's at default settings are much to be desired
Ok - so what - they state that the JPG's at default settings aren't what they expected. Thats the reason you can change those settings. Personaly I rather use Raw (dng) but thats just me.

Quote:
and vignetting with kit lens is another
The fun side of a dslr is that you don't have to go for the kit lens if you don't want to. I got myself a tamron 18-200 and like it.

although I found some reviews stating that the kit lens isn't bad
"The Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL is a surprisingly good kit zoom although it has its weaknesses specifically at 18mm."
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm

Quote:
and low battery life
Thats one thing I still have to experience. Got two batteries to be on the safe side but with one full I haven't had to change it, during a day of shooting. (without using the internal flash)

Just my point of view on the remarks.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:42 PM   #17

Low battery life.....never heard a complaint yet. :-?

I have the DL and the K10D and both perform brilliantly. :|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:31 PM   #18

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Low battery life.....never heard a complaint yet. :-?

I have the DL and the K10D and both perform brilliantly. :|
Excellent battery life and the Kit lens for the cost is a keeper for me. Works great at family get togerthers with active kids running around. Very fast and sharp.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:35 PM   #19

No complaints yet from all here thats so cool to hear, now you're all getting me anxious for the cam.....lol
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:22 PM   #20

I almost always shoot raw, but I've found the jpg pictures rather pleasant. It is much easier to add a bit of sharpening in software than it is to take it out if the camera puts too much in. There's the ability to adjust how much sharpening the camera does (all dSLRs have that, I believe) so you can adjust to your taste.

I'm surprised you mentioned battery life. I've never had a problem with the battery, (unless I get so complacent I forget to check it once in a while) - it certainly lasts longer than the rechargeables I have for the K100 (which are Sanyo and not bad at all). I keep saying I'm going to buy a second battery, but just haven't gotten around to it (and don't feel any real need for one).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote