Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:48 PM   #21

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I almost always shoot raw, but I've found the jpg pictures rather pleasant. It is much easier to add a bit of sharpening in software than it is to take it out if the camera puts too much in. There's the ability to adjust how much sharpening the camera does (all dSLRs have that, I believe) so you can adjust to your taste.

I'm surprised you mentioned battery life. I've never had a problem with the battery, (unless I get so complacent I forget to check it once in a while) - it certainly lasts longer than the rechargeables I have for the K100 (which are Sanyo and not bad at all). I keep saying I'm going to buy a second battery, but just haven't gotten around to it (and don't feel any real need for one).
The batteries will last quite a bit longer than the Kodaks Wag. Your not using an electronic viewfinder for one.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:43 PM   #22

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The batteries will last quite a bit longer than the Kodaks Wag. Your not using an electronic viewfinder for one.

Dawg
Yes they last quite well, shooting every day I find itto last days often. I did buy an inexpensive thrid party one of Ebay though, just so I don't have to remember to charge it everytime, They are pretty light and doesn't add to bag weight or space much, and its just peace of mind.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:26 PM   #23

I bought a couple of NP-400's from Amazon (for less than a tenner each £ or $, you choose) but haven't really needed them, my 4Gb card fills up first!

Yes I know it's a Konica Minolta compatible but it's cheaper than a D-Li50 and is the same fit - just a tip.

Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:18 PM   #24

I have the Samsung GX-10 (same camera as the k10d). I heard the battery concerns before I purchased as well but I bought it anyways. I bought my camera and charged the battery last friday, played around with it all evening, shot a wedding on Saturday, played around for a few more hours since then and my battery meter has not left "full". I'd say that's decent.

The Samsung is about $100 cheaper than the Pentax while being essentially identical. The main difference is that the k10d will shoot in open raw mode as well as proprietary pentax raw while the Samsung will only shoot in open raw mode, not a big deal at all. The Samsung also has better button layout and slightly better menus in my opinion. This is a bonus of Samsung's consumer electronics history.

I got the camera body, an 18-55 lens, an 80-200 lens, and 2x1gig cards for $820 CAN. not bad!

nix
nixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:23 PM   #25

A word of warning, my battery went from "full" to "nil" whilst reviewing some photo's on the camera, the meter seems all but useless.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:28 PM   #26

Good to know! I still haven't had to recharge it yet mind you. I was starting to get a little suspicious that I STILL had a full charge though.
nixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:58 PM   #27

nixter wrote:
Quote:
I have the Samsung GX-10 (same camera as the k10d). I heard the battery concerns before I purchased as well but I bought it anyways. I bought my camera and charged the battery last friday, played around with it all evening, shot a wedding on Saturday, played around for a few more hours since then and my battery meter has not left "full". I'd say that's decent.

The Samsung is about $100 cheaper than the Pentax while being essentially identical. The main difference is that the k10d will shoot in open raw mode as well as proprietary pentax raw while the Samsung will only shoot in open raw mode, not a big deal at all. The Samsung also has better button layout and slightly better menus in my opinion. This is a bonus of Samsung's consumer electronics history.

I got the camera body, an 18-55 lens, an 80-200 lens, and 2x1gig cards for $820 CAN. not bad!

nix
Being able to shoot in Pentax RAW is actually significant because the PEF raw files are compressed which saves a lot of space for those of us who shoot RAW.

I noticed the button themselves look different on the Samsung, but I didn't notice that they were in different locations.

The K10d also has a left-hand grip so it's fairly nice to use that for a solid two-handed hold of the body if it's not possible to hold the lens.

Bart
bart_hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:46 PM   #28

I think you will find that the button layout is the same on both cameras. However the Samsung buttons are flat to the body, whilst the Pentax ones are slightly raised.

As to the menus, that is a matter of taste.

I would also add that the vertical grip (which I bought recently) is only available for the Pentax.

This may be, to some, a bonus of Samsung in the electronics field but Pentax has spent a long time in the camera world.

To me, tactile buttons beat flat ones, as you can feel them without looking at them, plain menus are better than fancy ones (I just want to read them quickly, not admire them) and the vertical grip is a big plus. I had never used one before, always adopting the traditional pose of the right hand above the head, but the grip really makes the camera balance and feel comfortable, especially in the landscape position.

I also found that having 2 batteries in the camera seems to make the autofocus quicker, and the drive faster. Could just be wishful thinking of course....

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:16 PM   #29

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I would also add that the vertical grip (which I bought recently) is only available for the Pentax.

I also found that having 2 batteries in the camera seems to make the autofocus quicker, and the drive faster. Could just be wishful thinking of course....

Dal
I bought mine with the battery grip, so I don't have any experience without it to compare, but for me, battery life has been the last thing I've worried about with this camera.

I bought it with the vertical grip, not only because of the second battery and the ability to shoot vertically, but also because I have very large hands and the grip simply feels more positive.

Since getting the K10, I've found that the only thing I really have to worry about is if my performance is up to that of the camera.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:08 PM   #30

Something is definintely going on-got a quote the other day for 715.00 less the $50.00 rebate. Currently have a DS and love it. Just enough bells & whistles for me.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote