Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:36 PM   #1

Hi all.
I am thinking of buying the K10D and was looking for users and their opinions of this cam, my friend Dawg has pretty much sold me on it though....any input is appreciated and thanks alot.
Tim
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:40 PM   #2

Hi Tim,

Dawg is a hard to ignore I guess :-).

Can't tell you what to choose, can only tell you why I went to the dslr, and choose the k10d.

A few years back I got myself a panasonic fz5, supperzoom, image stabilisation 5mp, comparable with the kodac Z710 you've got.
The most important reasons I wanted to change where - no external flash and at iso200 you already had more noise than wanted.

My wish list was rather small for the dslr,
  • shake reduction (in the cam)[/*]
  • a usable 800/1600 iso[/*]
  • and the best one I could afford
    [/*]
The choise I had then where
  • sony - sr ok - high iso (check out some samples and you'll understand)
    [/*]
  • pentax - sr ok - high iso ok
    [/*]
So the pentax was the one left.
Then I wanted to have the easiest way to change settings ev/p-shift and the k10d was then the best, but if I didn't had someone sponsoring it would have been the K100d, and I'm sure I would have been just as happy (or only very very very slightly less)

Got it before x-mass last year and really love the camera.

Only one point of warning, with a dslr you'll always have to take the lenses and their prices in account.

Just my 5c

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:50 PM   #3

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
Hi all.
I am thinking of buying the K10D and was looking for users and their opinions of this cam, my friend Dawg has pretty much sold me on it though....any input is appreciated and thanks alot.
Tim
It is quite the performer. I generally use it for anything that will be published in magazine format.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
http://www.benjaminkanarek.com
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:20 PM   #4

nice shot ben.

thanks for advertising pentax.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:49 PM   #5

Just don't get LBA the way I did Wag....Get the extra lens over a period of time and buy quality when you do.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6

I originally bought a DS but secretly wanted to get a long lens and I knew that 200mm was the longest I could manage without some sort of stabilization. Bought a K100 and quickly was convinced that it would be good enough for me to get a 300mm lens. I loved having both cameras, keeping the kit lens on the DS and the 300 (or other long lens) on the K100, and thought I was fixed for a long time until my hubby brought up Christmas. I suggested a lens I wanted, but that wasn't good enough - he bought me the K10. I now use both the K10 and K100 quite often (sold the DS). As far as image quality goes - they are very similar (until you start cropping significantly). When I first got the K10, I posted a series of full frame pictures resized to fit here and I couldn't tell which one was taken with which camera, except by looking at the exif data (I was actuallytrying to decide which M 50mm lens to keep).

What I love about the K10 is the ability to quickly change metering modes and focus points with a flick of a finger instead of going into the menus (which means I won't bother changing much). I love having the Sv mode (which I pretty much leave set to 1600) for those times I'm desperate for light. I prefer the AWB on the K10 - its different than the K100. I loved having a camera that I didn't worry too much about when I was out while it was snowing. While the noise at 1600 is worse than the K100 in low light, it isn't all that horrible. It isn't a perfect camera, but then no camera is. I'm quite happy with my two cameras and have no intention of upgrading any time soon.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:56 PM   #7

You may want to wait. It looks like there is a K10D Super coming in a few months. Unless you can get the currecnt K10D for several hundred less I would wait and check out the latest. I know they are doing a K100D Super and it has some nice updates.

The K10D is like any thing else I has its good points and its bad points. It isn't even close to perfect, but then nothing is. Even god isn't perfect, he made George Bush after all.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:48 AM   #8

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
Hi all.
Tim
Stop thinking and do it.... if you have no investment in other company glass... then the K10D is a tought thing to beat unless you want and $$$ for the caliber of Nikon D2 or Canon D1 Mark 2 etc.

Every bit as capabale and the mid range Canon and Nikon's (some ways more so) plus that added plus of being able to use just about any Pentax lens ever made for 35mm, AND because internal SR/IS gives even the most antique M42 screw lens that ability as well.

No regrets here, even bought another after first stolen a month after I got it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:49 AM   #9

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
I would wait and check out the latest. I know they are doing a K100D Super and it has some nice updates.
You have a link to actual FACTS, or even reliable source rumor (like Ben)?

Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:53 AM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
What I love about the K10 is the ability to quickly change metering modes and focus points with a flick of a finger instead of going into the menus
And EV/EC as well depending how you have things set and firmware up to date.

That's my favorite... P mode with one wheel AV and the other EV.... a VERY powerful combo, especially for highly contrast variable things like sunset (depending where you are looking and sun still present or not) I shoot often.... as well as Program Line set to MTF so it is optimal sharpness aperture setting as well unless I manual decide to go more or less open, and like you said everything in seconds and never taking your eye off the VF, menues to do.