Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2007, 5:38 AM   #11

You've got some really goodshots, butI like the cop the best. That picture could really tell a story. The teacup shot is cool too... but I think it would be better if you could see more of the chick with her hair flying back. Not a bad one in the series though!

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:29 AM   #12

Great series! I like that last shot too....cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:45 AM   #13

Thanks for the compliments - I'm not usually very good with people or streetphotography at all, but thought these came out rather well. I did feel for the cop - it was humid that day as well as hot, and I'm sure he was probably pretty bored watching the crowd and the film crew. I don't generally like the posed "I was there" type of pictures and I feel sort-of funny taking pictures of strangers on the street so I've rarely practiced this type of photography. It's not easy to begin with,andI'm just starting to get an idea of what might make a good composition (very hit-and-miss right now). It's just that there isn't much opportunity around right nowfor my usual subjects (flowers and landscape).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:51 AM   #14

I like your shots too Harriet. My favorite is the cop, but then I can empathise with him. "Why did I sign up for this stupid special detail?" would be a good caption.

The teacup ride and the ferris wheel shots are very nice because of the way you captured genuine emotion on the subjects faces. I have not really tried this type of photography, but I think you did very well.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:44 PM   #15

Those are all very nice Harriet, the color and contrast is really nice.

I like the last one with the flying hair!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 6:26 PM   #16

Harriet

Obviously you had a good time. All nice shots and I love the first one. Great composition and immediacy. The only negative (except the first one) as to which you have no control is theharshsunlight.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:10 PM   #17

Tim - I figured you'd come up with a better title for the sargeant (didn't notice the three stripes when I took the picture, just the motorcycle and the expression.

Tom and Daniel - thanks for the complements. The lighting is always difficult because it seems like my only time to take pictures is around noon! I was lucky with the motorcycle cop because he was in the shade. And that could be one of the reasons I've been so frustrated - I'm trying to take pictures when the light is the worst for many things.

The cop, cheerleader, and ferris wheel shots were taken with the K10 and the A*300. The other pictures were taken with the K100 and the K-mount Takumar 135mm 2.5. The K10 is my primary camera and has more shots on it than the K100 (though I bought the K100 almost exactly a year ago), so I sometimes forget where the button is to meter manual lenses.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:18 PM   #18

Nice series, Harriet. I also like the cop pic most. It's hard to imagine how it would be to go out for lunch break and right into a street festival. Or was this in Frazier Park?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:14 PM   #19

Three separate days, I think (or at least 2). The cop was in Westwood providing security for a film company shooting a commercial. I think it was the next day that I went up to campus and watched the cheerleading camp on one of the playing fields. The festival was this past weekend in Frazier Park.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:45 PM   #20

How many live in Frazier Park? Looks pretty tiny on Google Earth.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote