Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:48 AM   #1

Hello,

I have Kakonet Flash, made in Japan, it uses two AA batteries, must be 20 years old but still works.
I have read through the "The Promised Flash Thread" and my manual, now I am confused whether my K100D can take any flash or just Pentax and Sigma due to different voltages.
The manual says you may damage the camera, is this correct or can I use the old Kakonet or something like a Sunpak 383 ?
I just could not afford the Pentax $250au or Sigma $300au. I only want to take the occasional indoor shot.

All Help Appreciated,
Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:23 AM   #2

Hi Rodney, I've had the same problem with flashguns, the two I have are way over the top as regards trigger voltage to use with the K100D direct. You can check out yours at this site ... http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html you're flash may not be quoted, so you'd need to measure it ...I couldn't just find it, but somewhere there it tells you how to measure the trigger voltage of any unit, the general figure quoted is not to exceed 30 volts preferrably less, the 30 volts figure is said to have come direct from Pentax. I've resorted to using an optical trigger for mine fired by the cameras own flash. Hope this helps ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:46 AM   #3

Further ... The optical flash sensor/switch I use is of the type listed here ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-Flash-Slave...QQcmdZViewItem

I use my flash basically for macro shots I haven't used in anger yet, I've only just put this setup together, I've reduced the on camera flash to it's lowest level, the sensor/switch is mounted below the flash. It senses the cameras flash, and fires the main one instantly.I don't think I need mount the camera for you to fathom this one out ... check out the picture. ... Jack.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:47 PM   #4

I knew it was there someplace.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html