Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:57 AM   #11

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
That lens really is incredible Roger. I call first dibs on it if you ever decide to upgrade!

Tim
GEEEEEZ Tim what would I upgrade to?????

Thanks for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:30 PM   #12

Awwwhhh. TWR...

Ya only went from 50 - 115mm zoom.... why not back up a few more feet and bring the full 500mmm to bear on those dinky dew drops for a great Bigma macro exhibition?!!

:homey:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:18 AM   #13

bper wrote:
Quote:
Roger - We always called this Foxtail. I think it is a weed. I know when we were kids, we would put one of theseed cones part way in our sleeve and rub down on the sleeve and it would crawl right up your sleeve, like it was alive. Kids do the darnest things for entertainment- Bruce
What intersting information. Bruce thanks

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:26 AM   #14

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Just when I think I have all the lenses I need ..along comes your photos..lol.What a great lens!..
lisa
OH I've been wanting a BIGMA for a long time since seeing his pix, just haven't convinced myself of the $1000 cost and limited use. Its a lens you have to have intent to use not just happen to have in the bag... faily long and about 4 lbs.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:05 PM   #15

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Just when I think I have all the lenses I need ..along comes your photos..lol.What a great lens!..
lisa
kashka I am real happy with my BIGMA. Thanks for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:40 AM   #16

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Its a lens you have to have intent to use not just happen to have in the bag... faily long and about 4 lbs.
I take it that you're primarily not a birder or wild life shooter as TWR et al... Use a program such as Exposure Plot (http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html) and odds are you're seldom above 200-300mm focal lengths.

I paid $535 for my used non-DG Bigma and find that its probably my most used lens -- allows me to zoom backwards down to 50mm --So I'm not sure of its status of 'limited use.'Yea, its long and weighty but for us birders/distant wildlife, its a great lens that's worth the price --considering that comparable IQ/reach usually goes for multiple $1,000s.

Sure, I left it home when I went to China or onvacation but its 10X reach sure covers a lot of territory -- just as Roger's original post reflects. If you're not partial to mostly long reach subjects, its definitely not a lens to 'justhappen to have in the bag'.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:52 AM   #17

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
wow whats the minimum focus distance

they really are almost macro

we have the same weed over here in West Australia too
i will have to try the sleeve trick
I have no idea about the minum distance I just zoom in until I can't focus then back off a little bit.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:53 AM   #18

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Well what a beautiful 'weed' and so well photographed.

Quote:
The term weed in its general sense is a subjective one, without any classification value, since a weed is not a weed when growing where it belongs or is wanted. Indeed, a number of "weeds" have been used in gardens or other cultivated-plant settings.
Rodney thanks for the nice comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:54 AM   #19

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Awwwhhh. TWR...

Ya only went from 50 - 115mm zoom.... why not back up a few more feet and bring the full 500mmm to bear on those dinky dew drops for a great Bigma macro exhibition?!!

:homey:
I was being lazy, I saw it and bent down got the photo and continued on to the camera wagon.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:58 AM   #20

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
kashka wrote:
Quote:
lisa
OH I've been wanting a BIGMA for a long time since seeing his pix, just haven't convinced myself of the $1000 cost and limited use. Its a lens you have to have intent to use not just happen to have in the bag... faily long and about 4 lbs.
Hi Hayward, I use my Bigma as my walk around lens so it is on my camera most of the time.

TOTALLY WACKY roger