Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:00 PM   #21

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
wow whats the minimum focus distance

they really are almost macro

we have the same weed over here in West Australia too
i will have to try the sleeve trick
I have no idea about the minum distance I just zoom in until I can't focus then back off a little bit.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
I even have the BIGMA on my camera when I am traveling. If I need another lens then I will change for that photo then the BIGMA goes back on the camera.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:11 AM   #22

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
I take it that you're primarily not a birder or wild life shooter

I paid $535 for my used non-DG Bigma and find that its probably my most used lens -- allows me to zoom backwards down to 50mm --So I'm not sure of its status of 'limited use.'
-- just as Roger's original post reflects. If you're not partial to mostly long reach subjects, its definitely not a lens to 'justhappen to have in the bag'.
Generally no but I do enjoy shooting on shore birds like Pelican, osprey, and hawks.

I could see use for it, but mainly a weight/bulk factor, since I am primarily on bicycle or foot. There are birding places around, but most require a car and dedication to get there... and I detest using a car in the Keys.... traffic and parking is a real hassle.
I could certainly use it for shooting off shore stuff, like boats in the sunset, races, etc.
And I didn't mean to say limited use... more limited practicality, if you aren't driving to a location and THEN walking around.

But again that weight thing, for frequency of real need. My Promaster 100-400mm pretty much cover the need at 1/4 the weight, and with 10MP on the 10D, the crop to get a 500mm equiv image isn't that big a deal.

Now if I could find as great a deal on one as you did, that would probably push me over the edge ... but that $1000 price tag is also a limiter.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:22 AM   #23

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward, I use my Bigma as my walk around lens so it is on my camera most of the time.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
OK but do you walk to were you are going to shoot, or bike with limit carry space, and then have to carry it everywhere after you go not shooting until you get home, so it doesn't get stolen.

That's one of my considerations of practicallity..... then again if I found one for ~$500 instead of $1000 like above I WOULD jump on it!!!
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:22 AM   #24

Are these shots hand held and are most of your post with the Bigma hand held. I'd like to get a sence of just how good the IS is on the camera. I'm used to shooting with the FZ series cameras and use a V-LUX 1 now. I don't think I can live without the OIS system and the Pentex is the only one that has it now that I would consider.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote