Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:44 AM   #1

Before I bought the Camera I had a lot of free time, now day's time is scarce. When shooting jpeg pictures are not very great. What settings need to be changed in order to get better picture quality with the Pentax k10d?

I think of selling the camera since I really do not have the time at the moment to learn all the functions or even shoot raw.

Any suggestions to a DSLR that shoots great jpegs in the auto mode?

Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Do you have any examples of the problems you are getting as there should be nothing wrong with the results from K10D. Is it that things are not sharp, colours are not vibrant enough????

Most people will only shoot RAW when it is essential to get a spot on result and if you don't then have a good chance of pulling it all back. Shooting weddings is one of the times I use RAW.

I've asked JimC to move this thread to the Pentax section of the forum so people shooting with the same camera can assist.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:15 AM   #3

Fenix wrote:
Quote:

Before I bought the Camera I had a lot of free time, now day's time is scarce. When shooting jpeg pictures are not very great. What settings need to be changed in order to get better picture quality with the Pentax k10d?

I think of selling the camera since I really do not have the time at the moment to learn all the functions or even shoot raw.

Any suggestions to a DSLR that shoots great jpegs in the auto mode?

The K10D is a complex beast that needs a fair bit of taming to get the best out of it.

The changes I made to the jpeg settings were to change from VIVID to NATURAL and increase the sharpness 1 step.

Other than that, the rest is down to the photographer.

In order to get the best results from an AUTO Pentax, the the next model down, the K100D would suit you perfectly. Put it into AUTO mode and shoot with great results.

I have the DL2 (now with g/f to use) and the K10D. The DL2 may be replaced by the K100D soon.

I guess the best advice, if you have no big lens investment in Pentax, and want a straightforward camera with noprocessing required, then I would recommend the Nikon D70/D80 asNikon automatically sharpens the image in jpg mode and can be printed out straight away.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:16 AM   #4

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
The K10D is a complex beast that needs a fair bit of taming to get the best out of it.

The changes I made to the jpeg settings were to change from VIVID to NATURAL and increase the sharpness 1 step.
And there are even far subtler things than thant.... for instance you might not think much of Custome menu choice F stops....following EV/EC settings

But rater than all the standars full stop 100, 200, 400, 800 ISO, etc that gives you is 1/3 steps both 1000 and 1200 ISO betwenn 800 and rather noisey 1600. And 2 steps between every oter standard ISO... like 600 , 160, etc.

Very right the 10D is a complex BEAST.... it needs major exploring to fullly realize, even if you have actually (like most lkely don't do) fully read the manual.

Still a lot of play/experimentation to be done after that.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:56 AM   #5

I'd like to answer your question this way:

You have a camera that is able of taking great shots in auto mode. It is also a camera to grow with. It is actually used by a professional fashion photographer with very high demands on his equipment. I wouldnt call it a beast which needs taming, I'd call it a picture-taking toolbox with a large content. But if you just need a hammer, it's there too.

What you need is some patience. You don't need to learn all the functions of your camera. I have a simpler model, the DS. I have had it for two years soon, and there are still functions I haven't explored and probably never will.

But a camera is a tool, it takes some knowledge to use it in the best way. Like no one is able to play wonderful music just by buying an expensive guitar, no one will take marvellous pictures just by having one of the best cameras there is. But on the other hand, buying a cheap guitar won't help either. It takes knowledge and practise. Start off with the auto modes and try the settings Dal proposes. Let it grow from there. Maybe you'll become a professional photographer in time, maybe you'll just take family snapshots for the rest of your life. But no camera will give you a shortcut to success.

Happy shooting and welcome to the friendly Pentax forum!:|

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:50 AM   #6

Just a note to reiterate what's already been said via my personal experience. I have shot many digicams starting with an Agfa 1280 now many years ago. My last was a Konica-Minolta A2 before purchasing the K10D this past Friday.

What I've discovered shooting this past weekend is that all the other cameras made me lazy. Sure, I paid attention to subject and composition, but most of the time, I've let the camera make the exposure/aperture decisions for me, shooting in full auto or using a scene mode.

Since the K10D doesn't HAVE any scene modes, I need to focus (pun intended) on learning how to "drive" the camera, rather than letting the camera take me for a ride.

My shots taken in auto at Mt. Rainier National Park were slightly over exposed. Those taken in full-on manual were better. I've been experimenting with shutter speed and aperture along with white balance and found that as others have said, the level of control is amazing. But that's the nice thing about digital: I can shoot tons of pictures with varying settings and choose those that work without worrying about the cost of film.

I did an boat-load of research over the past two years for a dSLR. It finally came down to either the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D. I got the K10 with a Tamron 18-250 for an all-in-one walk-around solution. Though I've been tempted many times over the past three days to take the K10 back and exchange it for the D80 (I have two weeks exchange priviledge), I keep coming back to the added expense of using in-lens image stabilization with the Nikon in exchange for a few scene modes. At least the K10 allows one to tweak the auto (green) mode. Not many do.

You've got a great camera. Keep practicing and grow with it. BTW, I did manage to squeeze-off a couple RAW images, and the results were amazing.

Tony

Seattle
treynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7

What camera experience did you have before buying the K10D? I have been using 35mm SLR's and "bridge camera's" for ages, and the K10D was both familiar and frightening at the same time. Some thing's it does completely differently in a good way, and other's not. I have to agree with everyone, you have to grow into a camera, you can't expect miracles on the first day. I have had my K10Dfor a fortnight and some of the pictures have been worse than if I had taken them with my Fuji S5600 which I know inside and out. But when it works how I want it, the difference is obvious.

Just give it time, grab a cheap camera bag and keep it with you and use it with any opportunity. I take photo's in the car when my girlfriend is driving just to see how it copes with different light, moving subjects, things like that.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote