Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:29 AM   #1

Flash for a K100D, for occasional indoor happy snap and outdoor backyard wildlife .

Sunpak 383

or

Vivitar 285HV
review - http://www.popphoto.com/lighting/398...hv-review.html

Similar prices, the Sunpak has swivel, the Vivitar gets rave reviews as a workhorse but no swivel.

Please help me decide,
Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:45 AM   #2

Intersting choice........ :?

You'd be surprised how useful a swivel can be.

Happy with my used $30 P dedicated Promaster 7000M that does both (orog cost $200+

And even Promaster saying could screw your camera.... that's BS 5V triggser voltage and used it a LOT.... then again they have not cone up with another 7000 level flash for Pentax.... just the 5000 level one.

It's PTTTL, and all that..... just not the damaging they claim it might be.... OK you wanted to sell new gen but have FU for like 4 years.... yeah that's real smart... how about actually PRODUCING ONE PROMASTER??? insteas of the BS of not buying a perfectly good used one, you can't be BOTHERED with producing and official DIGITAL one?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:28 AM   #3

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Flash for a K100D, for occasional indoor happy snap and outdoor backyard wildlife .

Sunpak 383

or

Vivitar 285HV

Similar prices, the Sunpak has swivel, the Vivitar gets rave reviews as a workhorse but no swivel.

Please help me decide,
Rodney

Quoted to avoid the mess above.

The Vivitar makes for an interesting read, and looks like a very good gun - I believe Ira uses the original one of these.

However, both are manual only, which is fine if you know your stuff. In which case it is hard to fault the tried and tested Vivitar.

You may also like to look at the new Pentax flash, which has full sync for £99.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:13 AM   #4

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:

Sunpak 383

or

Vivitar 285HV

Please help me decide,
Rodney.
I have had a 285 hv zoom thyristor flash for over 25 years now and it's as good now as the day I got it for a birthday present from my wife. I used it a lot on my K1000 and now have used it some on my K10D. Never failed and always pleased. I guess some of the newer ones have a bell or whistle this one doesn't have but I can live with out them.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote