Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1

More pictures with the K10 and the DA*50-135. This time I went to my favorite library and concentrated on architectural details. Most of them were taken at 2.8 and various ISOs (left that up to the camera). All were handheld. Exif is still in the file if you are interested. This time I concentrated in just taking pictures of things that caught my eye, rather than thinking about comparisons - I do much better that way.

Supports for the main staircase banister:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2

I think what looks like stonework is really hand-made plaster tile. In any case, I love the workmanship.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3

Tile on a different column. The building was originally built in 1927- an old building by California standards.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4

This is the same column, but this time I tried to separate it from it's surroundings. This picture has been cropped on the sides, but not vertically.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

This is the center rotunda ceiling - it is much higher than a story above me (think it's more like two stories tall). Again, it'smolded plaster.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:18 PM   #6

The main 2nd floor reading room is definitely two stories tall (one thread I posted included a wide-angle shot of the room that gives a better feeling of the size and how high the ceiling is). The ceiling is hand-painted plaster and was carefully restored in 1996. I never tire of wandering around this room and taking pictures.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:23 PM   #7

The main reading room has tall windows around 3 sides of it, adding lots of natural lighting. The exterior of the building has columns and more lovely plaster, and can be seen through the tall windows. This picture isn't exactly great because the sky outside the windows is blown out - I was metering for the stonework and trying for some detail on the walls beside the window. I post it to show what the lens does when faced with a really high contrast situation.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:24 PM   #8

The view that greets you when you first walk into the reading room. 50mm is really too long for this shot, but you get the idea.

P.S. I've posted a similar picture a long time ago - want to say last summer but it might have been in the fall.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:28 PM   #9

Exterior tile work near the front door. The minimum focusing distance is 3-4 feet, so while the lens isn't a true macro, it does great for detail. The picture was under-exposed and I pushed it - the vignetting is quite noticeable in this picture. But the detail and sharpness is really spectacular.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:39 PM   #10

One last picture. This is the building pictured in the window picture and only the second floorbalcony (it's also the building I posted a while ago where I asked about the perspective correction - the one with the fountain in the foreground). This lens provides more detail/information than the DA 50-200 does. It's something that really does need to be seen in the original files to really see, I think.

All of these pictures were converted in LR, no changes in wb, exposure adjusted in a couple of them (I'm not getting the over-exposure problems I used to with this camera any more, this combination is more likely to underexpose about a third of a stop than to overexpose- easy to adjust without adding additional noise). I used CS2 for some smart sharpen and USM settings to provide extra contrast rather than sharpening (thank you, Ben, for your processing methods, I've adapted them a bit) and resizing. I'm much happier with these than I was the comparison shots I took yesterday.
Attached Images