Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:53 AM   #1

Hi All,

Haven't been doing much bird shooting lately, it's been too hot and humid -- but couldn't pass up the opportunity for some shots at this Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron. The sun was getting low, and it had just stopped raining, so the light wasn't great. I think this guy is a bit younger than the previous one I posted in June -- there are more white markings on the back and wings -- maybe penolta can provide some info here. . .

Took some shots at ISO 500 -- shutter speed was well under what I usually like, but got some decent shots:

Both shots are with the K10, FA* 300/4.5+1.7x AFA, f8, 510mm, 1/80 handheld

These looked pretty good on the LCD, but I wanted to make sure I got at least a few keepers, so I grabbed the AF 540 FGZ for a couple of shots.

Bumped the ISO to 640 for this one since the previous flash shots were a bit dark.

By this time, I was perspiring too much to be able to use the camera effectively so I retreated back to the air conditioned comfort of my car. Using the window frame to help steady the cam, I tried some more shots even tho the shutter speeds were ridiculously slow

F8, 1/50, ISO 400

. . . and why not -- I decided to try for more DOF. . . f13, ISO 400, 1/20

All of these are full frame shots, PP'd only slightly, resized for the web, and sharpened just a touch to get back the look of the originals.

Herons are my favorite subjects. . . if you couldn't tell. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:44 AM   #2

Love these shots.

Pure quality and what can be achieved with the right camera, lens, photographer, subject, light etc etc...

Congrats.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:11 AM   #3

Wonderful shots - your heron is lovely and I can't believe you managed these without a tripod! You constantly amaze me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:28 PM   #4

Very nice Scott.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:36 AM   #5

Scott, I really like #4. The flash / natural light combination is just about perfect.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:46 AM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
By this time, I was perspiring too much to be able to use the camera effectively so I retreated back to the air conditioned comfort of my car. Using the window frame to help steady the cam, I tried some more shots even tho the shutter speeds were ridiculously slow

All of these are full frame shots, PP'd only slightly, resized for the web, and sharpened just a touch to get back the look of the originals.

Herons are my favorite subjects. . . if you couldn't tell. . .:-)

Scott
Scott

You did that in the comfort of your car? We have occasionally some hot days in Toronto as well. But you had your subject so close to paved area. Unbelievable. You have such long reach with your lens combo that is ideal as far as Pentax equipment is concerned. 600mm lens is likely not that practical at all.
Quality work indeed. Keep posting and thanks for sharing

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:50 AM   #7

Terrific shots, No 1 for me, I love the pose, but they are all so beautiful, well done.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote