Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:09 PM   #1

Help please

I did my first photo shoot (paid) for a family today and want to do some editing/ resizing/ cropping etc... I will be emailing the finished photo's as well as putting them on a disc for them to upload/ blow up etc...

I have photoshop but wondered if there is another program that will let me crop and resize without affecting the quality of the photo's.

Sorry for rambling I am so new to this.

Proud and new owner of the K10
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:52 PM   #2

There are lots of programs for editing images but photoshop is the undisputed king of the hill. If the shots are jpeg, every time you alter and save an image it will lose data because jpeg is a "lossey" (meaning it uses data compression algorithams) format.

If your photos are in raw format, you can do some manipulation in raw using the Pentax software, Adobe Lightroom, Raw Therapee or any of a number of digital developing software packages. You can then output your finished image to jpeg; this is the way to maintain the best image quality.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:05 PM   #3

If you shot in RAW, then you can PP your pictures and save in TIFF (lossless format). That way, if you decide to make more changes you don't have to deal with the data compression algorithams everytime you save. It will take up a lot more room on the disc, (the files are quite a bit larger) but you will have the highest quality results in the end.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:42 PM   #4

Should have used raw lol

I am new to this camera and am still learning as you can tell by this http://www.photoblog.com/sandra7109but I am starting to comprehend all the technical jargen lol.

The thing is if I put them on a disc and they want to take that disc to a photo finishing place and get some printed off in different sizes which size would be the best to size them to ?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:03 PM   #5

Now that's a really hard question, becuase in the US we don't use standard picture sizing... I think you might have to wait for someone with some real experiance in this field to respond, maybe even post this questionin the "People Photos" forums, as there are quite a few professional portrait photogs there.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:54 PM   #6

You really can't do better than Photoshop. Save them to your own computer as TIFF, PNG or PSD after any editing. Use PSD if you have layers to save.

If you output as quality 12 JPG for the CDs you won't lose any appreciable quality. If your work on the image involved layers you will have to flatten the image before saving as a JPG. I would put the full sized image on the CD.

You will want them smaller for email and probably a little lower quality. 500 X 750 might be good with quality around 8. That is assuming they just want to see the pictures and understand they would wait for the CD to make prints.

You can't really guess what size prints they would make. Just send them the full sized image and the photofinisher will trim whatever edge is needed. They should be about right for 4 X 6 prints and anything else would be trimmed.

I wouldn't resize or crop just for making the CD. If you crop because you think the picture needs cropping to look good make sure to not put anything in the resolution box with the crop tool. That way you keep all of the pixels you don't crop off and don't resample the image. I would crop to a standard print size like 8 X 10 if you are going to crop anyway and that ratio looks OK. Or stay with the 4 X 6 ratio if that looks better to you for the crop. As long as you don't put anything in the resolution box you won't resample the image.

The only quality loss you should experience is resaving as JPG. And if you use quality 12 for the CD you won't see the extremely small compression quality loss.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:05 PM   #7

slipe thank you so much I will need to read your post a few times to get it ( I am so bad with understanding certain technical terms :?)

Is there another program other than picasa / ps/ that is easy to use to just edit photo's ?