Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:13 PM   #21

What does "lifty" mean? I think I know... I never claimed it was my panorama. In fact I don't even have the 303SPH yet. UPS has it. But, I never claimed that was mine.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:22 PM   #22

Yah I know what you mean. I seems like there is always something to spend more money and what little free time we have on.

The pano head and legs came. I didn't know Manfrotto were magicians. The head with in one box, the legs in another. Seems like some kind of odd magic trick!

Robert
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:25 PM   #23

kjell,
i'm interested also. what does 'lifty' denote??
it's a term i'm not familiar with..

robert,
i'm certainly waiting on some results.. even something simple. you've really piqued my interest..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:15 PM   #24

Just tried one in the backyard. While the pano head is easy to use. I am having some other technical problems especially with the focus. If I have to set to spot focus it then locks on something (because of aim), if I go to manual focus and set the lens (50-200) to infinity focus... well it isn't really infity as I get varying results. In auto-focus I also have problems with getting it focus like on tree tops even with things for it to focus on it won't.

Still have some more playing to do. I am going to start out with just a simple pano and then go from there. I have some reading to do before I got to the spherical panos.

Robert
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:07 PM   #25

definately stay away from AF, or auto anything.. it'll kill the shot everytime.
what lens are you using?? you're on a tripod so shutter speed doesn't have too much to do with it. shoot for the DOF with the aperture and don't change it. vary the time vs the ap

roy

what lens and what format are you shooting for? QTVR ??
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:10 PM   #26

sorry just read the 50-200mm. i would think that a wide would do much better once you establish the nodal point.

roy
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:30 PM   #27

Use manual everything and a wide angle lens, otherwise the cells won't match up.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:56 PM   #28

I am working on a regular 360 degree using the kit 18-55 at 18. Photoshop CS3 is stitching now. I did AF but multi not spot. I took a meter reading and then loced then in manual, I then took a test shot and hard to slow down the shutter as the pictures were coming out black.

The pano head comes with instructions for finding the nodal point, but it is greek to me and their diagrams aren't that hot either. Anyone know of a web site with better instructions and diagrams (yes I need pictures!) for doing this?

I will let you know how the current one turns out. BTW I do think I found the nodal point but I really don't know what they tell you to look for in close and far away objects I just don't see it.

Robert
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:29 PM   #29

Ok, I was surprised that Photoshop CS3 didn't choke to death on this pano. I guess the 2GB in my laptop was worth the extra cost.

Ok, this pano is made up of 35 shots. The full size stitched pano is 292.806 inches long and 55.11 inches high at 72 dpi and 239.36MB in size as an uncomressed TIF file. I did not crop the pano I did flatten it and it has of course been resized for web posting.

You can view it at:

http://www.sonic.net/keesha/pano.jpg

This is a friends livingroom. He couldn't wait to check out the head and legs so I had to play there. Now I know the exposure isn't quite right especially in the kitchen area, but it isn't too bad for a first try and it is a full 360 degrees.

Robert
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:31 PM   #30

Forgot one thing. I didn't crop it because I wanted to show you all the twisting and flexing that was done to get the images to line up. I am guessing that since there is very little of this that I am pretty darn close to the nodal point? Yes? No? Not even close dork?

Robert