Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:24 AM   #1

Hi Guys

Check this site for some of the most opinionated rants you will ever read.

Why Digital has killed the tripod.

Why you should shoot in jpg not RAW.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Some of it is quite funny, especially as the home page has him using a monopod on a big lens!!

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:14 AM   #2

Not too biased either hunh????

And sadly ironically funny in his one mention of the K10D, is how their advertising after a stellar past history (Ansel Adamss used their light meters according to him etc) their current advertising was groveling to Nikon and Canon

Said he'd love to try one... as everyone seems to love them.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/pma07-b.htm

Now fast forward to his Summer 2007 reccomendeded camera listing.... 100% Canon and Nikon.... well guess he answered his own question.... because of people like him who think C & N is all there is and won't go out of their way to even try something else unless maybe someone actually gives him one. Can't even find someone to lend him one for a day.

The most recent Pentax he has reviewed is the original D.... not even the 100.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2007-05-what-camera.htm
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:53 AM   #3

darren,
i've read this guy before and don't want to go back. first time a couple of years ago. every time i see his name , i throw a pinch of salt over my shoulder.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:15 AM   #4

Rockwell has made quite an impact, definitely of a love/hate variety. He has a very narrow view of the photographic world and exudes an air of authority which is not actually born out in experience or training. I read his site occasionally (some of it is actually quite good) and have gotten many useful bits of insight there, but generally I stay away from articles on cameras, such as his "tests", because of the extreme bias he displays.

Another highly opinionated writer is Mike Johnston whohad a regular"column" here at Steve's site http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/smp_index.html he now has a blog called The Online Photographer at http://theonlinephotographer.com/the...log_index.html. The main difference here is that Mike may be opinionated but he is also far more impartial regarding equipment brands. This is usually a good read.

Ira
BTW - One statement by Rockwell I totally agree with is "If you shoot raw you should also archive everything in a standard JPG or TIFF format so you'll be assured of having the best chance of being able to open and use the files in the future." (page reference: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm).
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:38 AM   #5

I have perused Ken Rockwell's site for the last three years and read basically his entire site.

There is quite a bit of good information mixed in with his personal slant on things.

He was purely Nikon until this year. He got a Canon 5D and uses it mostly for landscapes and crapscapes as he puts it.

Though he does come across the way he does I look beyond that and find some of his information to be very useful.

I agree with IRA on archiving files for print though. In fact, making a copy on disc should also be placed somewhere else besides your own home. I know this sounds extreme but if you happen to be animate about saving files for keepsake value for generations to come it would be best that way so in the event of something like hurricane, "Katrina". It would do youno good to have it on your hard drive, on a disc and a back up hard drive if all three happen to be in the same house. Make an extra copy of the disc and send to a friend or relative for safe keeping.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6

he does have some intersesting articles
like the one all about why your camera doesnt matter, that it is the photographer that counts
oddly, then he gives the *ist ds a rather bad review based only on other peoples reports
he did say he would like to try a K10D but i cant see anywhere that indicates he actually did
he sure likes to list his equipment too, how many cameras does he have? 5 i think i counted
so does equipment matter or not?
it does his credibility no favours
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:55 AM   #7

Pictures speak louder than words and his pictures look pretty good to me. I have to agree with him on the RAW thing. I never shoot raw, I prefer to be out shooting not messing around with RAW conversions. Gotta agree with the tripod thing too. I really don't appreciate people dragging tripods around in public venues. We were at the zoo a few weeks ago. They have a big sign at the ticket booth that says "NO TRIPODS." Inside we saw a guy shooting with a point and shoot camera on a huge tripod in the harshest possible daylight.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:24 PM   #8

bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
Pictures speak louder than words and his pictures look pretty good to me. I have to agree with him on the RAW thing. I never shoot raw, I prefer to be out shooting not messing around with RAW conversions. Gotta agree with the tripod thing too. I really don't appreciate people dragging tripods around in public venues. We were at the zoo a few weeks ago. They have a big sign at the ticket booth that says "NO TRIPODS." Inside we saw a guy shooting with a point and shoot camera on a huge tripod in the harshest possible daylight.

The fact there is a choice in how you want to save and/or process your file is wonderful. Reasons abound as to what suits each user. Also, it depends on your shooting style, preferences, subject matter and so on.

I like that kind of lattitude and it boils down to what makes you and a prospective customer happy.

Ken Rockwell makes a living doing this and can have an opinion like anyone else. He just puts it out there on his own website and yes even asks for donations to support his site.

I find his pictures to be very good to fantastic. He is either loved or hated as I have seen and read much to do about his style and opinions. Many who nay say have not much to offer in way of demonstrating what they do to be any better than what he has posted on his site.

I for one appreciate what he has to offer and I don't scoff at what he says, I don't agree with everything, but much of what he writes is backed up by what he can produce.

The amount of cameras he has or uses does not say anything about credibility. I don't recall credibility to be one system, and/or one camera. There is no perfect camera. No one will ever make it. Everyone has their ideas of one and until they go out and make it themselves, we make do with what is out there now.

The choice of what tool you will use to create is up to the user and whatever it is, it's what helps make that image. The image is made by the intimate knowledge and experience of how to use that tool.

One more thing. I am not keen enough to tell someone what file was used to make a print.

I shoot, process and print jpeg. Possibly when I have more time I may try RAW but I am (and friends, family, clients) are happy with my jpeg captures. Bottom line for me (and them), that's all that matters.

Oh, by the way, I do use a tripod, I don't find it to be obsolete and it is necessary for me in some instances. The zoo is not one of them though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:33 PM   #9

I posted this to get a few reactions, and yes, peoples responses largely mirror what I was feeling reading through his website.

At some bits I was laughing at the absurdity of his comments, at other bits I was fuming on a "who does he think he is".

I think it is true, that you have to read his site with an open mind and take on borad what bits affect you.

I started in digital with a compact, shotting jpg. Couldn't wait to get to RAW. Got to RAW and found that WOW most of my time is spent messing with the pictures.

Very reminiscent of the old darkroom days - so it must be the right thing to do. I have several books on CS2 and rad loads of tutorials.

Then I bought the K10D and started shooting RAW+ - what a godsend. I can imediately delete the rubbish as soon as they are on the computer. However, I am starting to look at the Jpg files, and they are getting pretty good. I don't think I am ready to take off the training wheels yet, as some shots still need saving, but I am close to agreeing with the opinon that RAW is no longer necessary for all shots.

Heresy I know.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:11 PM   #10

Might as well toss a little fuel on this fire...

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/blog/ar...Rockwell_Facts

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote