Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:55 PM   #1

Started today. Many of the controls are not repsonsive or are some times responsive and other times not. I havethe camera set for 2 sec timer to take tripod shots but the camera fires immediately and then no picture is taken. I took out the battery while i had lunch then reinserted it and reset everything to the factory default befor putting my settings in. The camera took a couple of pictures then reverted to not working.

HELP!!!

Thanks for reading

John
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:05 PM   #2

Hi John,

Did you fully recharge your battery? Do you have a spare? After resetting to default settings did you try to use the camera then or did you reset and put in your settings. Also, make sure the SR feature is off when shooting on a tripod.

Not that this would matter or make any sense but how long have you had the camera and was it new or something you got a deal on from someone else?

I do not have the manual but did you go through the "troubleshoot" section?

I am sure others will chime in to offer some help but with the information you made available I would make a call to a Pentax service center and talk to a rep about what you are experiencing. This sounds like a job for the service center and most likely not something terribly wrong but enough for the camera to not be of any use as it is now.

Keep us updated on what happens. Others may have something similar or may eventually experience something similar and this will be of value to those who share what you are going through.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:15 PM   #3

Hi

Thanks for responding. I got the camera new a few months ago so it is still under waranty. Did recharge battery, did not try using on straight default settings but will. SR is off.

john
Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:47 PM   #4

I don't even own a K10D, but a lot of times, updating the firmware fixes a lot of "bugs". If you are not running the newest firmware, you might try updating it. This is probably one of the first things the service center will tell you afterchecking the basics (a fully charged battery, etc).

Instructions and download information for the latestK10DFirmware can be found here:
Pentax Imaging: K10D FIRMWARE UPDATE

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:59 PM   #5

try giving pentax a call, (800) 877-0155. i've talked to a number of good people there. it's almost like i know ,lynn, in parts dept..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:21 PM   #6

Definitely not normal. My suggestion would have been what you did - take out the battery, recharge it, reset everything to default and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'd get your sales receipt copied and talk to the service people about sending it in. A total WAG would be that the electronics are messed up in some way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:35 PM   #7

Thanks for all the responses. Did the reset, recharge etc. and it didn't seem to help. Took the battery out overnight and set everything to default before resredoing my settings. and it seems to be working correctly now. Time will tell if it stays 'fixed'

I have another concern and that is sharpness. I shoot at the highest jpg setting plus RAW . I am documenting a lot of pepper flowers and don't want to take the time to mess with the RAW files which I am saving. I have the 100mm DFA Macro lens. I was using an Olympus C5050 and it gave me sharper pictures out of the camera than the Pentax. I have tried adjusting sharpnes, contrast etc. but am stumped. What am I doing wrong?

John
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:21 PM   #8

JohnF wrote
Quote:

I have another concern and that is sharpness. I shoot at the highest jpg setting plus RAW . I am documenting a lot of pepper flowers and don't want to take the time to mess with the RAW files which I am saving. I have the 100mm DFA Macro lens. I was using an Olympus C5050 and it gave me sharper pictures out of the camera than the Pentax. I have tried adjusting sharpnes, contrast etc. but am stumped. What am I doing wrong?

John
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Out of camera sharpness is usually set lower on most dslr's. You could switch to bright mode if you're shooting in natural mode, and that would sharpen up your results a little, or start using USM to tweak them in pp'ing. Most all in one digicams have the sharpness level set fairly high at default. That's by design. Dslr's may require a little pp'ing, ala sharpening. Try using the sharpening tool in whatever image editor you're using. They should sharpen up nicely....Hope this helps a little...cheers...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9

JohnF wrote:
Quote:

John
Image softness has be an issue in every review I've read of this camera. Pentax has apparently done this with the intent to somehow mimic film camera results. Don't know if that's true or not, but you are not the only person to question this.

Use the "bright" setting to get brighter AND sharper images.
DJA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10

Thanks for thr responses. I know I have a lot to learn about the camera ( I have a friend who uses a different Digital SLR and makes sharp pictures from my files. I will try the bright setting.

John