Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:27 PM   #11

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I like the color in the first shot and I am a sucker for closeups of any stinging insect (thrill of the hunt and all that) :-). Tim
Tim, you'd be safe with that one - no sting. It is a syrphid fly - these fliesmimic bees and yellowjackets, but are harmless "flower flies" themselves. It is a great picture, too.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:28 PM   #12

duplicate post - please delete
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:27 PM   #13

penolta wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I like the color in the first shot and I am a sucker for closeups of any stinging insect (thrill of the hunt and all that) :-). Tim
Tim, you'd be safe with that one - no sting. It is a syrphid fly - these fliesmimic bees and yellowjackets, but are harmless "flower flies" themselves. It is a great picture, too.
You know, one of the greatest things about this forum is that, if you are not learning about photography, you are learning about something else.

Thanks Penolta,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:41 PM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
penolta,
have you got a name ? you are continually amazing me with your font of knowledge. what do you do?? are you a biologist ?? zoologist ?
GIVE !!!
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:58 PM   #15

These are really splendid close-ups. I really like the first shot and thelast one, butI am seeing a bit of green fringing on number3 and I am going to have to agree that number 2 looks a tad oversharpened. Overall these are really great shots. What lens are you using?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:10 PM   #16

I like them all, a great series.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:59 PM   #17

Thanks for an interesting thread as well as some great shots.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:27 AM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
that's too bad but you should have thought of that before you broke it..

hopefully she's doing better.. tell her this yank said , get well.

roy
I wouldn't dare try Roy, she'd beat me with the other one. It's her right arm so it does limit her considerably, and she gets so frustrated trying to supervise me, especially when I say ... I'm in charge, I do it my way. LOL. Seriously though, she's doing OK, all the family is ... well !, they've servived my cooking ... so far :lol:. Thanks for the good wishes.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:33 AM   #19

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
The first one and the last ones are my favs.

With only one broken arm, surely she can do the washing...:roll:

Mine will give me a slap if she sees that!

Dal
Dal, she does set the washing machine on ...then tells me to hang it out when it's finished, and reminds me to iron it afterwards. I tell you, she revels in supervision.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:06 AM   #20

To everyone else,

thanks for the praise, and critique. Re shots 2 & 3 both were backlit when shot, and both of the originals show a slight halo effect, which is usually a sign of oversharpening, 2 in particular was shot against the backdrop of the sky, there was somebluish CA showing on the branches in the background which I tried to eliminate, this I think has added to the oversharpened appearance. penolta... thanks for the infoon that fly ... we call them hover flies, we usually see them hovering just a few feet above ground,sometimes they shoot off a few feet to one side or another, and then return to the original position. occasionally you see them resting on a flower or a leaf like this one, this guy/gal was very tame I got several shots but this was the best.
inneyeseakay... The lensis a Chinon 50mm f1.7 in combination with a Vivitar 2X macro focussing teleconverter. Not quite as good as a dedicated macro lens, but it does come pretty close.

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index..._shootout.html