Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:14 PM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
you're more than welcome dawg..
as i said, this is a real sleeper lens, especially in someones hands that know how to use it. i've gotten quite a few old lenses and asked myself, has this been in box forever????

roy
Thank you Roy. I do mean thank you. This lens is as sharp or sharper than my Series one lenses. I would have given a lot in my younger poorer days to have owned one of these. The main Modification was turning down the largest OD to fit the lens base and drilling 3 holes to match with the ones in the lens base.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:16 PM   #12

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Now that is a sharp lens.

Images are made even better by the mods...

What it is to have talent with your hands.

Dal
Thank you Dal...I was given the gift of a Father that was a Jack of all Trades and wanted his sons to be the same. No finer gift he could have given me.

Dawg
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:18 PM   #13

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic!

You really need to do a sideline in lens mods, I'm sure plenty of people here would snap (no pun intended) up some of your creations.
Thanks for the Kind comments but. I need to get my own equipment at home before doing that. The company I work for might frown on me doing too much "Govt. Work".

Dawg
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:19 PM   #14

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Those are so nice and sharp!..I think you got a heck of a deal with that lens and your talent for "McGivering" has made it a better lens..:-)
lisa
Thank you Lisa.

Dawg
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:02 PM   #15

kashka wrote:
Quote:
Those are so nice and sharp!..I think you got a heck of a deal with that lens and your talent for "McGivering" has made it a better lens..:-)
lisa
Dawg

I think the 2nd and 3rd one have shown the lens belongs to the best class of lens, both in sharpness and bokeh. I mean those that came right in your face type. Can't imagine those plain old fashion Japanese optics. Is the lens straight f3.5 throughout the focal length? Must be heavy then?

The 2nd pict has a reflection that really draws people's attention . Likely you did that in haste though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:06 PM   #16

Very nice and sharp results dawg! Such a task would be beyond my ability, but Tachikoma is right, you could probably generate a little lens money by altering desirable lenses that happen to have less than desirable mounts.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:33 PM   #17

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice and sharp results dawg!* Such a task would be beyond my ability, but Tachikoma is right, you could probably generate a little lens money by altering desirable lenses that happen to have less than desirable mounts.

Tim
I agree, I could not do anything like that, but you did a great job as the fabulous results show.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:35 AM   #18

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
kashka wrote:
Quote:
lisa
Dawg

I think the 2nd and 3rd one have shown the lens belongs to the best class of lens, both in sharpness and bokeh. I mean those that came right in your face type. Can't imagine those plain old fashion Japanese optics. Is the lens straight f3.5 throughout the focal length? Must be heavy then?

The 2nd pict has a reflection that really draws people's attention . Likely you did that in haste though

Daniel
Thank you Daniel...This lens is almost the exact same dimensions as a Series One Vivitar lens. About the same weight, length and a 62mm filter size. also the serial number says it was made by Kino Precision (Kiron) In the second week of 1974. About the same time as the best series one lens were made. And as far as I can tell it carries the 3.8 all the way through. The reflection is not a reflection at all but the oak tree on the other side of the bottle. It is properly upside down the way a lens is supposed to put it. Never thought a glass bottle could give such a clean image.

Correction ...You are right. I have been so mezmerized by the sharpness of the photo I missed it. I now see the reflection...I'll use a polorizer next time...LOL

Dawg
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:40 AM   #19

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice and sharp results dawg! Such a task would be beyond my ability, but Tachikoma is right, you could probably generate a little lens money by altering desirable lenses that happen to have less than desirable mounts.

Tim
Actually Tim on the Yashica lens mount about 60 dollars would get a machine shop to turn it down for you. About twice that for the Minolta mount.

Dawg
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:42 AM   #20

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice and sharp results dawg!� Such a task would be beyond my ability, but Tachikoma is right, you could probably generate a little lens money by altering desirable lenses that happen to have less than desirable mounts.

Tim
I agree, I could not do anything like that, but you did a great job as the fabulous results show.
Thank you Rodney...I'm just glad I work for a company and in a job where I have access to the right machine tools.

Dawg