Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:35 AM   #21

That is a superb piece of kit Dawg, excellent work, and even greater results. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:58 AM   #22
TC3

Nice sharp pics. Recently won this lens (made by Kiron) on ebay and i can only agree it is a quality optic
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:18 AM   #23

jachol wrote:
Quote:
That is a superb piece of kit Dawg, excellent work, and even greater results. ... Jack
Thanks Jack!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:22 AM   #24

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Nice sharp pics. Recently won this lens (made by Kiron) on ebay and i can only agree it is a quality optic
It is so close to performance (may even be better with some of them) To the Series One Vivitars..I may start calling them "Baby" Series One's. The Series One lens have a shinyer finish and are some what smoother Focusing and Zooming but the results are nearly the same.

Dawg
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:05 PM   #25

vivitar made a dedicated 2x converter for this lens. i was suprised at how good it was.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:11 PM   #26

robar wrote:
Quote:
vivitar made a dedicated 2x converter for this lens. i was suprised at how good it was.

roy
It works really well with other lenses too Roy. ... Jack

Edit. ... I believe it's a 7 element job, which probably helps a lot.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:14 PM   #27

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The reflection is not a reflection at all but the oak tree on the other side of the bottle. It is properly upside down the way a lens is supposed to put it. Never thought a glass bottle could give such a clean image.
Correction ...You are right. I have been so mezmerized by the sharpness of the photo I missed it. I now see the reflection...
You are funny. It is really worthwhile to find gem out of those piles of older lens/zooms. But the cost which maybe insignificant for you is not cheap at all for most people. Average people do not have access to the right machine. Also you win some you lose some. This one is a clear winner

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:29 PM   #28

i've a few of these older vivitars and all of them made by kiron and komine were excellent. i had a tokina model and while it too was a fine lens the K/M blew it away. i've gotten to just assume the glass is great if it was made by either.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:52 PM   #29

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
I'm looking at getting one Roy...There have been a couple on Ebay lately.

Dawg
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:10 PM   #30

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The reflection is not a reflection at all but the oak tree on the other side of the bottle. It is properly upside down the way a lens is supposed to put it. Never thought a glass bottle could give such a clean image.
Correction ...You are right. I have been so mezmerized by the sharpness of the photo I missed it. I now see the reflection...
You are funny. It is really worthwhile to find gem out of those piles of older lens/zooms. But the cost which maybe insignificant for you is not cheap at all for most people. Average people do not have access to the right machine. Also you win some you lose some. This one is a clear winner

Daniel
You are correct in both cases Daniel. BUT>>>>>>I've now had 6 emails as to the exact specifics of doing this and will probably have even more in the future. So far I've been lucky in getting really sharp lens. 3 are by Tokina but I have to say the Komine's and Kirons are a tad sharper. Really don't know if it is the design or the manufacturer. Part of this is to let folks know it is possible to do..and the ones (lens)to look for. I now have a total of 6 lens in this zoom range and all are keepers. Also it is fun doing these. You really don't have to spend that much and Machine tools are just one way of doing it. You could for instance grind the sides down enough to fit insted of using a lathe. You can use a dremel Moto-tool to get the locking pin slot. You can use a belt sander upside down with the handle locked in a vise to flatten off the bottom of it. As I said I use the machine tools because they are there for me....You can still do this with home owners's tools if you just think about it. I got another 80-200 Vivitar lens today for a mere $5.20 plus shipping. That will make 7 lens in this category. So they don't cost much you are not out much if the first time or two the results are not quite right. I'm no rich man myself....All my lens purchases are from the $2.00 a day my wife gives me for lunch money at work...I just don't use it at work and save it till I have enough to get the lens I'm after. The skills are from doing things like this. I wasn't born with these skills...I obtained them through use. If you never try anything you'll never do anything. If you never fail you never learn.

Dawg