Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:28 AM   #11

Wadue, really nice shots. I like all of them, but the stumps in the swamp stands out because it is so unusual.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:48 AM   #12

wadue wrote:
Quote:
#5...Need some help on this one. Not sure what it is. We noticed it while on a hike in one finest cypress swamps in IL. 1st time that I can say that I was in a swamp but it was really beautiful & oddly enough, no mosquitoes...at least while we were there.
Nice outing and nice pics!

It's a Hymenocallis, not quite sure what species. This is a Hymenocallis littoralis I have as a pot plant.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenocallis

Kjell

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:02 AM   #13

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
All great shots, i love the swamp shots, I can just hear the frogs and crickets and some Tony Joe White.
Thanks Rodney, oddly enough, we could hear the frogs in the water as we walked on the floating walkway but as far as hearing their croaking songs, I guess it was too early in the day. I have not heard on Tony Joe White before but you have peaked my curiousty. I think I'll have to pick up a cd after reading about him on his website & wikipedia. Thanks! I'm sure that I'll enjoy some good swamp country music!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:04 AM   #14

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Wadue, really nice shots. I like all of them, but the stumps in the swamp stands out because it is so unusual.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn...so glad that you liked them. The swamp was unlike anything that I've seen before...especially in my home state. Every turn was literally a photo op.

Thanks for looking & commenting!

Ron
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:11 AM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
wadue wrote:
Quote:
#5...Need some help on this one. Not sure what it is. We noticed it while on a hike in one finest cypress swamps in IL. 1st time that I can say that I was in a swamp but it was really beautiful & oddly enough, no mosquitoes...at least while we were there.
Nice outing and nice pics!

It's a Hymenocallis, not quite sure what species. This is a Hymenocallis littoralis I have as a pot plant.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hymenocallis

Kjell

Thanks for the info & compliment, Kjell! Your encouragement is always very much appreciated. I had no clue what kind of plant this was. This was the first time that I was ever in such a naturally occuring environment. This hymenocallis was 1 of about 6 plant species that I had never seen before. My wife & I can hardly wait until we have the time to go back again to explore a little more.

Thanks again!
Ron

PS...I'll to post a shot or 2 of a champion cherrybark oak tree that was near the swamp tomorrow. Very beautiful tree!

Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:50 AM   #16

Wonderful shots.

esp like the swamp ones as we don't have those over here.

Looks like you had a good time, which is the main thing..

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:40 AM   #17

I was going to say #3... until I got to the swamp shots.....

AWESOME.... and as much as its become a vastly over used word.... one I VERY rarely use as its definition implies.... something far if not VASTLY out of the ordinary!!!

Those are just jaw droppingly gorgeous!!! (especialy the second)

And maybe some here might be offended I've on told them (if they even cared of my opinion) nice, pretty, good even great on occassion....

But again especialy that second swamp shot really IS AWESOME..... a very wet Grand Canyon kind of uniqueness. :roll:

And some around here (and other photo forums) confuse technical excellence for aesthetic quality.... OK thats a really nice macrco of an insect eyeball.... gee never seen one of those before (1000's like Discovery and Nat Geo every day)..... and someone may come along and say there is somethig soft about those swamp shots etc, but for being something no one else has likely seen and wonderfuly captured you did darn GOOD!!! (That would be a more emphatic expletive but language filter here won't allow )
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:52 AM   #18

Yes, Dal, we really did have a good time...especially at one of the local wineries, but that's another story!:G& thank you for the compliment.

WOW! Hayward, THANK YOU for the compliments & your very eloquette way of presenting them but you are right about the softness. I really should have posted them from a website instead of compressing them to 20% but I am always anxious to get shots posted within a few days of taking them. Just my "thing".

But thank you..none the less!

Ron
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:16 PM   #19

the swamp reminds me of home.. nicely done!!

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 2:33 PM   #20

Thanks Roy...but if the shots remind you of home, should you change your avatar to "Shrek"??? Oh yeah, you're from LA, right?