Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:31 AM   #11

Here's the same picture using PhotoLab. By the way, this is a different sunset, but one that was just as smokey.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:33 AM   #12

The picture above was taken through the windshield on our way home one evening. This was taken the same night, a little bit further on, and I could use a mountain to block the sun. The color of the sky is so eery when its that smokey.

Last one! Kjell - real sunsets, like the first one are very rare. Smokey sunsets due to major brushfires burning somewhere within about a 50 mile radius are all too common (this one is closer than that now, but still quite a distance away).
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2007, 5:47 AM   #13

The silhouetted tree line and the telephone post are my favourites, all of them are things of beauty.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:16 AM   #14

Great shots, esp as you didn't burn out anything.

I agree with Rodney, though, as soon as I saw the power line one, that was my fav.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:54 AM   #15

I really like the third one...there's some real texture to the clouds and the colours are amazing!..But all of them are very pretty..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:14 AM   #16

Very nice Harriet, I like 1,3, and 5 the best. You know, it was about this time last year that we were having a sunset thread.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:30 AM   #17

Great shots Harriet, wonderful colours.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:40 AM   #18

good shots gal

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:04 AM   #19

Thanks for the compliments - I couldn't decide which one of that first sunset I liked the best.

Tim - you are right though it was a little earlier (July). We haven't as much monsoonal moisture moving through the area this year.

The color in the second two sunsets aren't caused by clouds. What you are seeing is smoke from a brush fire that was (at that time) something like 35 miles away, it's closer now. That same fire is burning and the national weather service says that smoke could affect the air quality 3 counties away. At first it brought up a number of unhappy memories from last September. Last year we faced the third largest brush fire in California history, they've already said this one will be bigger than that before they'll be able to contain it.

I'm surprised no one remarked about the difference between Lightroom and PhotoLab with the sun on the picture I posted. It's interesting that Adobe hasn't corrected the problem, since it's been close to 2 years since I was on the Panny board. To be fair, I don't have ACR 4.0 because I don't have CS3. If you look at the Lightroom version, there's a harshness/halo around the blown-out sun. The PhotoLab version doesn't try to put color in the sun, but it does a better job of showing the gradual color shift rather the halo.

I've found that there's no way you can capture the really red color of the smokey sun and still have some color elsewhere in the scene. We certainly aren't the only ones that get smoke in the air (I look at the number of fires burning in Idaho and Montana, seems like both states are burning. We've actually been lucky so far, though there's still another couple of months to get through before "fire season" is over).

P.S. Roy - can you please send us some of your hurricane rain? We could sure use it!

Old Aug 19, 2007, 12:49 PM   #20

All very nice, but the color and composition in #5 takes it for me. I usually don't like phone lines and the like interferring in sunset photos, but the way you composed yours makes it very pleasing, too.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote