Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:06 PM   #11

The Samsung will only save in the open source raw format. The Samsung has far better button layout steming from their consumer electronics history. The warranty on the Samsung is 2 years as opposed to 1. The Menus on the Samsung are much easier on the eyes.

I bought the Samsung after looking at both. After owning it for a couple weeks now I went to the local store and picked up the Pentax to hold and compare. I think they must have employed an 8yr old to design the button size and layout, it's terrible in comparison. I think the only thing the Pentax has over the Samsung is the proprietary raw format and the name. Everything is of course subjective at this level so it's really just splitting hairs. I got the body, the 18-55 lens, an 80-200 lens, and 2x 1gig cards for $820 Canadian.
nixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:16 PM   #12

Thanks, I am all about buying generic Kool-Aid, but something about a $800 camera makes me want to pull towards thename I know,Pentax. Thanks though!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:59 AM   #13

It would appear that both cameras are made on the same Pentax production line. So you really are getting a Pentax when you buy the Samsung, although arguably Samsung buyers are getting a better deal when it comes to the the menu system which is streets ahead of the horrible, blocky, out-dated Pentax version.

The absence of the proprietary Pentax RAW file capability is hardly a great loss.

The better warranty and price of the Samsung means its the logical choice. Brand loyalty to Pentax has to be of questionable benefit tothe consumer.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:59 AM   #14

Well, as an ex-Pentax SLR user I was very tempted by the K10D. However, I did a lot of reading and it became apparent that the 2 cameras are mechanically identical under the casing. Even the lenses are supposed to be the same. What swung me to the Samsung was the cost saving. Mine cost £540 which at the time was a good £100 less than the Pentax and as I hadn't intended buying a dSLR my budget was being rather stretched. So do I have any regrets in buying cheap? Nope!

The handling and buttons are a matter of personal taste and I've had no problems with the GX-10 andI actually prefer the Samsung menus. If I was a pro (or semi-pro) I'd probablyinsist onthe Pentax. Not because it's any better but to ensure that I get updated firmware sooner rather than later. I'm also guessing that technical support from Pentax is going to be better than Samsung. Other than that, the lack of PEF is a bit annoying as shooting RAW on the Samsung fills up the memorycard rather quicker. But that's easily solved with more memory, which is now very cheap. Finally it's true that the resale value of the Pentax will be greater than the Samsung but that's really only an issue if you change your camera fairly often. After all ina few years what will a measly 10Mp camera be worth? Plus I never trade-in my old cameras- I keep them. I still have my first SLR (Praktika LTL) that must be 30+ years old and the camera I had before that. That reminds me, must move to a bigger house!!!
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:06 PM   #15

Okay... Cost isn't that big of a deal. I can get the Pentax body only for $649.99 (after 50 rebate) and I can get the Samsung kit for $699.99. I already own a DA 18-55mm... so, the savings are going to be very little.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:36 PM   #16

How about the extra year of warranty?
nixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:58 PM   #17

Actually, I was about to mail in my rebate for the FA50 when I noticed that if you buy the K10 and DBG2 at the same time, you get $100 back. Which means that I can pick up a K10, DBG2 and extra battery for 739.95 after rebate. I am pretty sure that I have made up my mind.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 6:04 PM   #18

Apparently the samsung comes with a longer warranty.

The other thing I have seen is the slightly more attractive buttons (look more modern) and the firmware looks mich nicer and more polished.

Pentax gets firmware updates first.

Pentax cam and glass goes together better than Samsung cam and pentax glass
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:54 AM   #19

Well... I sold the DS, therefore I will be ordering the K10D/Battery Grip Bundle by early next week!
Old Aug 26, 2007, 4:59 AM   #20

Ordered my K10D, Extra Battery & Grip last night from CametaCamera.

$839.95 - $100 MIR = $739.95