Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:07 PM   #1

What's the difference? Is there any? Any advantage of getting the Pentax besides the name?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:16 PM   #2

As far as I know the Samsung is a clone of the Pentax...so for the same money , if they are the same money..I would get the name...Pentax !!!
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:37 PM   #3

As I recall from previous posts here, the Samsung does not have the grip handle option and the firmware gets updated at different times. That is all I remember,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

There's some software differences as well, I went through some old camera mags on Friday and they compared the two, and there were things like the K10D was sharper, but the GX-10 had better colour rendition.

I can dig out the mag and give you a rundown if you want?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:53 PM   #5

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
As I recall from previous posts here, the Samsung does not have the grip handle option and the firmware gets updated at different times. That is all I remember,

Tim
The grip is now available for the Samsung as well, it wasn't originally, but it has been released now.

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know the Samsung is a clone of the Pentax...so for the same money , if they are the same money..I would get the name...Pentax !!!
They do not cost the same... there's a $100 dollar difference, but the Pentax has a $50 rebate... so really it's a $50 difference.

I am pretty sure I will stick with the Pentax when I upgrade, I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions for/against the Samsung version.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:53 PM   #6

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
There's some software differences as well, I went through some old camera mags on Friday and they compared the two, and there were things like the K10D was sharper, but the GX-10 had better colour rendition.

I can dig out the mag and give you a rundown if you want?
That'd be great if it's not too much trouble... thanks!

Nick
Old Aug 19, 2007, 3:45 PM   #7

The way the prices seem to be set up over here, the Samsung with the 2 kit lenses is cheaper that the K10D and standard kit lens.

I was in a quandry which to get, when I bought mine, as it was discounted for some reason in Argos. The twin lens kit was £50 dearer than the K10D body only.

I still bought the K10D. For me I prefered the ascetics of the Pentax over the Samsung. The Samsung has flat buttons and garish menus, plus the right hand grip feels different, as it is a slightly different shape to the Pentax.

I think that if I was looking as a first time buyer, I would take the huge price difference and go with the Samsung (2 year warranty as opposed to Pentax's 1 year) but as I was using the DL2, the stayiong with Pentax makes sense. Extra buttons but essentially the same layout on menus.

I have added the vertical grip and now I have a huge, heavy beast which I feel comfortable with.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:22 PM   #8

Looking back through it there's not all that in it.

Paraphrased from the March '07 issue of Practical Photography

It basically boils down to:

K10D:
Potentially better resale value due to brand name
Accessories (battery grip for example)
Less "processed" result off camera, means post processing should produce better results than the GX-10¹
Better detail in highlights
PEF (Pentax compressed RAW Format) saves space when shooting in RAW
Raised buttons make blind access easier
Richer colours off K10D (GX-10 gives a "cooler" colour tone which can be a plus or minus depending on how you feel about it)

GX-10:
Grip shaped more ergonomically, more comfortable to hold for long periods (subjective)
Better included software (the Pentax software is a joke)
Pretier menu's
Cheaper (obviously)
More "punchy" photo's straight off the camera¹
Easier to operate dials (subjective)

Basically, you aren't likely to use the bundled software from either, if you shoot in RAW the results are nearly the same, it just depends if you can tolerate the (I think) 90's aesthetics on the GX-10 and want to save some money now rather than (potentially) make more when you come to sell later.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:10 PM   #9

Hi,

Been doing a bit of research myself on this lately.......

The following link summarizes the differences:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sa...ew/index.shtml

Dee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:40 PM   #10

i think i remember the samsung will only save raw files as dng. that there is no selection of the between pef and dng.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote