Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:58 PM   #1

Hey folks, got yet another question ... I got this tripod & ball head from amvona on ebay last month. Roy, you were absolutely right about the legs...rock solid! This is probably the single best camera accessory that I've bought & it was a good deal (bonus!) at $85 with shipping.

Now, the question is .... is there anything that I can add to the ball head to get the stiffness out of it? I have loosened all of the tension out of it & yet it's still takes a firm grip to move it. I was thinking either 3in1 oil or some spray graphite or even vaseline. Any suggestions? I've been using it quite a bit since I got it but it still seems tight to me & I'm doing a wedding next Saturday so I'd like it to move smoother but I want to find the "happy median" between being too loose.

Anybody had any experiences like this that they could share?

Thanks as always!
Ron
Attached Images

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:23 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with sticky ball heads, just a bit with lubricants and cleaners. They all haveadvantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't use graphite because half the time it makes a mess. I might trythe silicone spray that locksmiths use. Or WD40, if I also wanted to clean it (used to use it for bore cleaner and lubricant on weapons, but locksmiths claim that it tends to dry locks out over time). 3-in-1 oil tends to be messy, but it works as a lubricant lightly applied.

Anyone out there really knows what to use?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:52 PM   #3

not familiar with the head but do not use anything on it so far listed. about the only thing i use is spray DRY silicone. the others will attack dirt except for the graphite but it can be messy.. you want some resistence in the head tho.
you did pretty good, a $300 tripod and head for 85. not bad..
you also might try asking amvona..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4

Harriet & Roy...as always, thanks for the input...I just sent amvona a question about it & am waiting for any answer BUT until then....anybody with any suggestions or prior experiences that they would like to share, please don't hesitate! So far, I'm definitely leaning to Roy's DRY silicone, if I can find any locally.

Thanks,
Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Harriet & Roy...as always, thanks for the input...I just sent amvona a question about it & am waiting for any answer BUT until then....anybody with any suggestions or prior experiences that they would like to share, please don't hesitate! So far, I'm definitely leaning to Roy's DRY silicone, if I can find any locally.

Thanks,
Ron

Radio Shack sells a Teflon lube in a small tube..It does an excellant job on things you wouldn't want to damage. Only takes a smidgin to work. I used it once on my DX6490 camera when the control knob was sticking. Go here for a look.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:15 AM   #6

Ron,

Check all of the screws in that tripod, I had a leg nearly fall out of mine once, one loose screw did it. Most of the screws ahows that a red lock-tight had been used, but they missed one. That is an absolutely great tripod and head, for the price, a Manfrotto equivalent would cost at least twice as much.

As for the head, time takes care of most of the issue, mine is still a little notchy but much, much smoother than it was new.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7

I would be careful about using anything containing solvents if there are any rubber parts inside. WD40 can be doubly dangerous because it contains a varnish-like substancethat remains behind after the carrier evaporates, and can stickparts together, causing more problems in the long run than it solves in the short run. It is good on exterior surfaces because of thet protective coating. An exterminator once told me it kills termites, too, ifsquirted into their tunnels, so if you have a wooden tripod . . . .
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:51 AM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
I would be careful about using anything containing solvents if there are any rubber parts inside. WD40 can be doubly dangerous because it contains a varnish-like substancethat remains behind after the carrier evaporates, and can stickparts together, causing more problems in the long run than it solves in the short run. It is good on exterior surfaces because of thet protective coating. An exterminator once told me it kills termites, too, ifsquirted into their tunnels, so if you have a wooden tripod . . . .
The Teflon Lube is not petroleum based and unlike WD-40 or other lubes will not harm Plastics or rubber. The teflon is very benign no harm to electricals or paints as it is not solvent based.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Ron,

Check all of the screws in that tripod, I had a leg nearly fall out of mine once, one loose screw did it. Most of the screws ahows that a red lock-tight had been used, but they missed one. That is an absolutely great tripod and head, for the price, a Manfrotto equivalent would cost at least twice as much.

As for the head, time takes care of most of the issue, mine is still a little notchy but much, much smoother than it was new.

Ira
thanks ira,
cked mine and all are fine. only loose screws here are in the operaters head.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:55 AM   #10

One other point, there is something worse than a too-tight tripod ball head, that is a too-loose tripod ball head. If it is hard to move it is annoying, but if it is impossible to lock in position it is useless. I would not risk anything that may make the head inoperable.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote