Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:34 PM   #11

kjell,
i'm really ramped up about this lens. wish it cooler outside. i'm just now finally getting better after 2 weeks of pneumonia and the heat is definately a no no right now..
hey , maybe i can put some Ex tubes on it and and get some inside macros.. hehe

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:21 PM   #12
TDN

robar wrote:
Quote:
how do you get the pka adapter in AE or f32??? i haven't figured that out yet. i know this is going to get some HEAVY use. manual Ev is right on the money.. so far for $200 this is the deal of the century. guess one of the other 300s is going. just can't think of which.. so far, i'm a real happy camper. you're right about taking chances, this one could have expensive.. i know why you like this now..

roy
Congrats roy!!!

I'm glad it turned out good, that lens is a beast!

The PKA adapter can't be on f32 with Pentax, it's the only downside it has. if you really need it (i never use 32...) you can always get a regular PK adapter for those occasions...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:31 PM   #13

i found out how to set it. there's a a button on the side of the adapter. your right about it not stopping down to f32. i never use it but there have been a couple of shots with the 500/4.5 at iso200 that f45 was not enough. the 500/4.5 at f45 is terrible.

roy
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:39 PM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:
what's a new one cost??

how do you get the pka adapter in AE or f32???

i know why you like this now..
Hi Roy,

A new one (slightly updated version in black v 360B) MSRP is over $4K, but it usually retails for @ $2700, but the 60Bs (green ones) are so available used for under $800, it's pretty unrealistic to think in those terms.

The PK/A adapter uses f32 as the "A" position with this lens -- there's a little black button/lever on the adapter that acts as the "A" lock.

It's a monster of a lens, and probably wouldn't be worth lugging around if it wasn't so good -- even at over 3x the price you paid. . . $200 -- that's just ridiculous. . .:-)

I don't know if the palm rest is available separately -- You might try contacting Tamron directly -- I'd say it can't cost much, but you never know-- it's just a little aluminum piece that screws into the tripod mount. Another idea would be to advertise as a WTB -- I'm sure that there are some owners who always use a tripod with this lens, and don't have a use for the palm rest, but I really like it.

This is what it looks like

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:48 PM   #15

Congrats... that is a monster of a lens! Can't wait to see some hummingbirds shot with that...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:06 PM   #16

scott,
weird ,but i can see how that would work because from the first shot i had to come up with some way of supporting the lens and try to focus with it. thanks for the pic but could you post one with it installed or even better in your hand?? you know what a DIYer i am.

roy
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:36 PM   #17

Hi Roy,

Don't know quite what you meant, but these should do

It is surprisingly confortable when handholding, and makes it really easy to focus. I had ignored it at first, but then tried it just to see what it was. . . and was shocked at what it did for the feel of the lens. you should be able to get a decent idea about scale from these -- then make one that fits your hand's dimensions.

Scott

edit:

BTW, I also found an ebay vendor who had a $10 screw in metal lens cap for 115mm -- looked it up, and he's not offering one anymore -- but if you can find one, it's much better than the leather one supplied.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:55 PM   #18

thanks scott!!
looks like a breeze with some 1/4'' aluminum stock i have laying around. thats exactly how i've focused and rested the tripod mount on my left hand. it's a little awkward tho and that should help.
also, on the focusing ring there is that small ring that has the button that screws in and out. it seems to have something to do with the focus ring but i can't figure what it's for. ??? it is nice being able to use the A setting now. i think i may have fallen in love..

roy
Old Aug 20, 2007, 6:33 PM   #19

Hi Roy,

It took me a little time to figure that little focus ring screw too. It allows you to set a favored focusing distance. Lets say that you set up the cam on a tripod 10 feet away from a bird bath. You focus the lens, then tighten down the set screw. You can move the focus ring in either direction to catch birds on the ground or in the trees, but there's now a detent at the 10 ft mark, and you can immediately reset it to that if you want -- another neat feature, IMO.

Another "feature" that you've obviously found is that you can set the cam/lens down on the hood, and it's very stable -- that rubber ring on the front of the hood is very convenient.

Scott
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:00 PM   #20

ahhh,
you know something scott?? i had a feeling we were going to have this conversation.. must be ESP, hehe. that is a nice little feature, something i know i''ll use.
another question.. can you tell me the model #s of the tamron 1.4x and 2x that came with this?? do you use them??
you're also correct about the best way to store this is sitting up just like the 500/4.5.
i remember in times passed when i told someone that i never saw in my future the need for a 72mm filter. a couple of years later i have four starting at 77mm.. go figure.. this lens will get a lot of use because it is actually handholdable, if you are charles atlas.

thanks for your help,
roy