Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:58 PM   #21

Hi Roy,

The SP TCs are:

1.4x -- Model 140F -- I have this one, and it's excellent -- good enough that it's the one I use for stacking with the F1.7x AFA on the SP300. I'm casually looking for a deal on another one of these, but I'd probably pop for a decent deal on a Pentax A 1.4x-S or L first.

2x -- either the Model 01F or the rarer 200F. I have neither, but if find one at the right price, I might get one to play with. The only ones I've seen recently are the 01F, and they've been going for well over $100, so I passed. The 200F is better, but mostly in the area of better edge/corner sharpness. This advantage is pretty much taken away by the APS-C crop on our DSLRs, so I wouldn't be too quick to pay the premium this TC usually commands. I have an A 2x-S and a Vivitar 2x MFTC, and I rarely use either, so the SP 2x TCs are a low priority for me.

Of course, an F1.7x AFA is the perfect TC for this lens -- an AF 510mm f4.5 that makes me almost forget about even thinking about a Bigma. . . and then I can add the SP 1.4x TC and get an AF 714 f6.7. . . too cool!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:20 PM   #22

scott,
thanks for the info.
i've got a 1.4x-s pentax. do you think it's better than the original tamron?? i know it works well on the 500/4.5 with little to no IQ loss. guess i may try it tomorrow. got to get well first tho. i'm really pumped about this lens since i haven't found a prob in IQ yet. i have lost some sleep over it lately. well , just a little.. the rest of the lens looks almost never used. even the tripod mount shows very little use..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:55 PM   #23

I believe the 1.4x came as a set with this lens, I don't think the 01F was matched to anything, I believe it was the general adaptall 2x adaptor. When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

PS: I paid around $700 for this lens Roy. I am swearing out an affidavit against you for theft even as I type! :-)
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:11 PM   #24

robar wrote:
Quote:
3 different 300mm
left is the tamron 300/2.8
middle front is a pentax A*300/4
rt. rear is a pentax M42 300/4
Wow Roy,

I am impressed. You have hardly tested out your M42 300/4 before having this fast tele. I think it matches quite well with its TC 1.4 or 1.5x. I can only be green with envy as I cannot handle the weight. Look forward to some great tele shots

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:26 PM   #25

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

PS: I paid around $700 for this lens Roy. I am swearing out an affidavit against you for theft even as I type! :-)
Hi Tim,

After a quick check, I was mistaken about this -- my normal confused state -- $30-40 is still the going rate for the 01F. . . The 140F is closer to $100, and while you can get A 2x-S TCs for under $100, the A 1.4x-S&L TCs are a lot more -- probably because they're more useable.

You are correct about the price he paid -- I paid about the same for mine -- an E+ from KEH. . . there has to be something illegal about this. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:07 PM   #26

Well, if anything can get you feeling better, something like this should really do the trick! I can't decide if I'm envious or think you've lost your mind - I can't imagine trying to use a lens that big (just carrying it would do me in!). On the other hand, a year ago I thought I'd never own a 300mm lens because I wasn't steady enough, and I love my A*300.

Kjell - I think you are right about Roy's A*300. Being wiped with a brick is a pretty apt description of what the front element looked like in that picture he posted. On the other hand, he's also posted numerous excellent pictures taken with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:03 AM   #27

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I believe the 1.4x came as a set with this lens, I don't think the 01F was matched to anything, I believe it was the general adaptall 2x adaptor. When I got my 01F they were going for $30-$40 on ebay, are they really up to $100 now?

Tim

please don't do that deputy dawg!!
one thing i don't need is the FBI making a house call..
this was a legit international deal!!

actually, it did come from Singapore..

roy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:07 AM   #28

It really is an awesome looking lens.

I think the local wildlife will be scared into submission!!

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:41 PM   #29

just put a 1.4x-s on this and i can't close down to f2.8.
furthest it will go is f4. that's with the lens set to the A position.
why is this???

roy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:20 PM   #30

here's a couple with the 1.4x. full frame resize. this will focus down to just under 8 feet. the Df was probably 12'.. DOF is razor thin here.
Attached Images