Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:20 PM   #31

this about 10'
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:10 PM   #32

robar wrote:
Quote:
just put a 1.4x-s on this and i can't close down to f2.8.
furthest it will go is f4. that's with the lens set to the A position.
why is this???

roy
Hi Roy,

I'm not sure, but I've found that sometimes installing the PK/A adapter is fiddly. I've worked out a procedure that's pretty reliable -- These instructions are my own, not sanctioned by Tamron, but better than the ones supplied but them, IMO.

Before installing the adapter, press the aperture acutation lever in the lens down all the way and note the size of the openings both closed down all the way and open all the way for reference.

1. Rotate the aperture ring on the lens to the max aperture setting (f2.8 in this case)

2. On the adapter, there are two black tabs that fit into slots on the lens, 1 is fixed, the other rotates. As you look at the adapter from the back (surface that fits into the camera) rotate the moving tab all the way to the left (counterclockwise). The tabs should be a little past 180 degrees from each other.

3. Match the green dots, push the adapter into the lens and rotate it clockwise, allowing it to rotate the aperture ring on the lens with it until it stops. At this point, the adapter should be locked to the lens.

4. Rotate the aperture ring all the way to f32 where it should lock. Unlock the aperture ring with the little black button and turn it back all the way to f2.8. The aperture blades should not be visible. Also at this point, both the black tabs should be seated in their notches on the lens. If they aren't, try to seat them manually.

5. Turn the aperture ring all the way to f32, using the black button to allow it to lock in at f32. The aperture blades should be closed down all the way -- the same as when you pushed the actuation lever all the way down at the beginning.

6. Work the aperture lever on the back of the adapter. You should be able to see the aperture blades open up all the way, then close back down all the way. Compare these to what you remember them to be from the beginning reference.

If the apertures don't register correctly at max or min, try going through all this one more time, if the max and min apertures still don't register correctly, you might have to adjust the adapter -- I've had to do this to a couple of the adapters that I have. I'll tell you how to do this (if needed) in another post. I've had adapters that either don't close down all the way, or don't open up all the way, and in all but one, I've been able to adjust them pretty easily.

This sounds more complicated than it is in practice, and you don't have to mount and dismount the adapter that much -- unless you get the Adaptall TCs and install and remove them often.

Scott

Edit: BTW, if you're saying that the aperture value in the VF is only registering to f4 -- it's possible that the TC is converting the aperture value passed to the camera -- Have you tried this with another "A" capable lens? Does it add a stop to the other lenses? My 1.7x AFA does this (add @1.5 stops), but my Rear Converter A 2x S doesn't -- showing the aperture setting on the lens.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:52 PM   #33

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It really is an awesome looking lens.

I think the local wildlife will be scared into submission!!

Dal
Roy just has to yell 'freeze ' with the Tamron 300mm

:ak47::ak47::ak47:

That is it

He has been doing that even without the Tamron

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:56 PM   #34

with no exp. with the adapter. how do i get the adapter off the lens????
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:00 PM   #35

i got it off. i'll follow you instructions. it shows f4 on the other 300
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:18 PM   #36

followed your instr. and put my tamron 2x Af on and it will register f2.8 with no problem. when i put the 1.4x on it will only go to f4 in A mode.:?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:57 PM   #37

robar wrote:
Quote:
followed your instr. and put my tamron 2x Af on and it will register f2.8 with no problem. when i put the 1.4x on it will only go to f4 in A mode.:?
Hi Roy,

OK -- now I'm out of ideas -- If the lens is actually wide open, then you shouldn't have any exposure problems. So the only possible downsides are with the exif accuracy, and maybe P-TTL flash metering, but that can be compensated for. . .

You might as well give up and send me both.:evil: I'd be willing to let you get your money out of this fiasco. . .:lol:

Scott
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:07 PM   #38

my 1.4x-s looks to be pretty old.. i just shot some wide open even tho the cam reports f4 i'll ck the exif and see. rt now tho my left shoulder is recuperating..

oh, to me, it looks like you have the palm rest on backwards.

roy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:09 PM   #39

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,

OK -- now I'm out of ideas -- If the lens is actually wide open, then you shouldn't have any exposure problems. So the only possible downsides are with the exif accuracy, and maybe P-TTL flash metering, but that can be compensated for. . .

You might as well give up and send me both.:evil: I'd be willing to let you get your money out of this fiasco. . .:lol:

Scott
oh, what's your address?? i'll pack them tonite..

roy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:52 PM   #40

robar wrote:
Quote:
oh, to me, it looks like you have the palm rest on backwards.
Hi Roy,

All indications say that it's on the right way. It's screw is 1/4 20, and the rear hole is the same thread, with the front hole being 3/8, so you'd need a step down sleeve to attach it there. That plus it's a lot more comfortable the way it's shown mounted. I tried it both ways since I have a 1/4 20 sleeve semi permanently installed in the front hole of the tripod mount. The way I have it mounted, my hand (which is pretty small) is naturally slanted towards the focusing ring, and because the weight is pretty much supported by the palm of my hand, my fingers are free to rotate the ring easily. Without the rest, my tendancy is to try to support some of the weight with my fingers, which gets in the way of focusing quickly and easily.

Scott