Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:40 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

Thanks for all the info. I just skimmed it this morning as I have to get off to work. Will read in more detail tonight.

I realized after I shut down the computer I probably should have posted my query on the tripod board, but since I know and trust the Pentax group thought oh, well. And, you are coming through! Thanks.

I do need to be concerned with the height issue as I'm 5'11" and have arthiritis in my back. One of the reasons I had selected the one I did a few years ago. So many of them just didn't go up high enough. I'm not sure how heavy the current one I have is. I'll have to weigh it and see. I don't notice it, though.

I am the queen of being patient on ebay. Waited six months to buy a PDA for the price I was willing to pay. Lost a lot of bids in the process. I'm also one of those ones that sets my limit, watches the bid and bid at the last possible second. If the bid doesn't end when I'm available to bid, I figure it wasn't for me. Maybe a stupid theory, but only once I've paid more than I wanted and that was due to a mess up with the shipping costs. So, Roy, no need to worry about giving away the secrets. It's my secret, too.:-)

Dawg, so the three way head is actually fine? Maybe it's my particular model that is so confusing. I've moved the camera in the wrong direction so many times.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

patty,
sounds like you're a pro ebayer.. patience is the word..
i think with your height(you're a big girl)the 828s would do. i think they top out at 68'' plus 3-4'' for a head and another 2'' for the cam = over 6 feet.
my 858s are 63'' plus 3'' plus 2'' = me at 5'9''
both of these weigh in at about 7 pounds.. why go to the tripod forum???? i've seen some horrible arguements about these there.. it ticks some people off when they spend $200++ when they could get a non- name brand as good for $50

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rickst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,599
Default

I use both an Amnova and the Slik Pro700DX. I use the 700DX almost exclusively, now--just better construction, smoother sliding legs, etc.

For a head, I picked up a Bogen 3030 head for $40.00 locally--I really like it.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,093
Default

I also have an Amvona, the Dynatran 828 I think. I have the grip ball head that came with it but for about $40US I also have a tilt pan head, a regular ball head and 4 quick release plates. I use the grip head usually but the tilt pan head is very nice for portrait work and panning.

The only issue I have with theDynatran tripod is that they missed tightening one of the screws retaining the legs so if you get one, check that all of the screws are tight. The quality is very good, not to Manfrotto levels but much better than the price implies (80% of Manfrotto quality for 50% of the price).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:42 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I just skimmed it this morning as I have to get off to work. Will read in more detail tonight.

I realized after I shut down the computer I probably should have posted my query on the tripod board, but since I know and trust the Pentax group thought oh, well. And, you are coming through! Thanks.

I do need to be concerned with the height issue as I'm 5'11" and have arthiritis in my back. One of the reasons I had selected the one I did a few years ago. So many of them just didn't go up high enough. I'm not sure how heavy the current one I have is. I'll have to weigh it and see. I don't notice it, though.

I am the queen of being patient on ebay. Waited six months to buy a PDA for the price I was willing to pay. Lost a lot of bids in the process. I'm also one of those ones that sets my limit, watches the bid and bid at the last possible second. If the bid doesn't end when I'm available to bid, I figure it wasn't for me. Maybe a stupid theory, but only once I've paid more than I wanted and that was due to a mess up with the shipping costs. So, Roy, no need to worry about giving away the secrets. It's my secret, too.:-)

Dawg, so the three way head is actually fine? Maybe it's my particular model that is so confusing. I've moved the camera in the wrong direction so many times.

Patty
The three-way head works good but you have to use it enough to get used to the adjustments. I mean if you use it enough where you reflexively move the right screw handle. The grip head is very nice for fast moving things like butterflies or sporting events but the Three-way for me anyway is better for Macros of flowers or portraits or landscapes or Panographs....There are so many heads out there that it becomes a matter of taste. For me..And here I emphasize for me the three-way head is best. For you the grip-ball head may be the one...If there is a camera shop near you, you might like to check out each of these heads to see. Be a shame to order one you in the end didn't like. Kinda like You like chocolate ice cream and I like vanilla. A matter of taste and a function of the type photo you enjoy shooting. My flavor may not suit you...Try all the flavors first then make a decision.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:19 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

Gotta say that I agree with Dawg on that one.



Looked at loads of heads when I got my new legs, and ended up just nicking the huge Manfrotto Ball head off my Bembo Trekker. Love the action of the ball, with a little bit of tension on it.

When I put it on, the ball was very stiff, as I hadn't used for about 10 years. Soon loosened up though.



I was looking at a 3-way for doing macro/studio work, but not sure if I can cope with such slow, fine adjustment.





Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 104
Default

After using my Tilt-All for almost 40 years (got it to support a Spotmatic.), this line piqued my interest. I checked the ebay site and they looked good - just a little sophisticated. (For me, sophisticated is often a pejorative term.)

Since using the Tilt-All is totally reflex action by now, I guess I'll stay with it. So, if you want a sturdy tripod that will raise the viewfinder to well over 6' (I used to be over 6'2"), is great for panning and will l-a-s-t, I can heartily recommend an original, made in New Jersey Tilt-All. (It'sa similar indesignto the new Asian fabricated one, but much sturdier.)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

I've gotten so much feedback I'm going to try to respond in pieces here to some of it so I don't get confused.

Thanks, Phil. The max height is definitely a plus and the price is reasonable. I'll keep this one in my "possible" pile.

Patty

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
HI Patty

I have what i Consider To be a great tripod. The Slik Pro700DX
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ro_Tripod.html

I dont really have a fancy head, just the stock unit that came with It. But For my purposes It Works great. The head can be Changed If You so desire. One of the big reasons i Got this model is that it has a Max height of 74". I am 6' 3". This way I dont have to Bend Way down and throw out my already bad back.

Phil
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:49 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

Well, I wouldn't say pro ebayer. I've probably only purchased 10 items in all my time. But, I do have patience. Well, sometimes :-) Now that I'm looking, I really want to get one NOW!

I'm questioning the 7 lb weight on these. I believe my laptop is 7 lbs and I don't think I'd want to lug that around all day. The tripod I currently have is 2.8 lbs. (Sunpak 6601UT) But, then the center post isn't very sturdy. So, guess that doesn't matter does it!

What weight max should I belooking for? I currently have the K100D, 18-55 and 50-200 lenses, the cheaper of the two Pentax flashes. Would one that holds 10 lbs be sufficient?

Patty

robar wrote:
Quote:
patty,
sounds like you're a pro ebayer.. patience is the word..
i think with your height(you're a big girl)the 828s would do. i think they top out at 68'' plus 3-4'' for a head and another 2'' for the cam = over 6 feet.
my 858s are 63'' plus 3'' plus 2'' = me at 5'9''
both of these weigh in at about 7 pounds.. why go to the tripod forum???? i've seen some horrible arguements about these there.. it ticks some people off when they spend $200++ when they could get a non- name brand as good for $50

roy
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
nhmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 5,202
Default

You made a good point. I should go to my local camera shop and try out some of them. I should have thought of that as it's one thing I usually tell people when they ask me which camera is best. My response is the one that feels right in your hands.

You're right. It might just be that the grip handle "looks good on paper" but in real life I may not like it. I really haven't used my tripod as much as I probably should. I'd probably like it more if I did. I just don't always feel safe using it. I didn't realize how flimsy mine was until I was with a friend and hers. Her MF3001 seemed very sturdy compared to mine.

I also read about being able to "flip" the camera downwards to shoot almost straight down. Is there anything I should know about that before I try to find one that does that? I know there have been times when I've wished my current tripod would allow me to shoot downwards more than it does.

Patty

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The three-way head works good but you have to use it enough to get used to the adjustments. I mean if you use it enough where you reflexively move the right screw handle. The grip head is very nice for fast moving things like butterflies or sporting events but the Three-way for me anyway is better for Macros of flowers or portraits or landscapes or Panographs....There are so many heads out there that it becomes a matter of taste. For me..And here I emphasize for me the three-way head is best. For you the grip-ball head may be the one...If there is a camera shop near you, you might like to check out each of these heads to see. Be a shame to order one you in the end didn't like. Kinda like You like chocolate ice cream and I like vanilla. A matter of taste and a function of the type photo you enjoy shooting. My flavor may not suit you...Try all the flavors first then make a decision.

Dawg
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:26 AM.