Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:13 PM   #11

something must not be registering here. a maglight??? yes i have one.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:47 PM   #12

I think he means use the maglight lens as the better beamer.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:46 PM   #13

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I think he means use the maglight lens as the better beamer.

Dal
Kee-rect!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:13 PM   #14

it's way too small. you would have to use the complete housing without a bulb and the diameter of the hole you'd be tunneling the light thru is max 3/4''. i doubt you would be using 10% of the flashes output.
the lenses i have are only 2'' high and 6'' wide.. i'm not sure if that's big enough in height

roy
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:21 PM   #15

Could you not use the end of a BIG maglite - say a 4-6 cell model?

Remove the head and use that.

Dal

(not much of a DIYer!)
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:15 PM   #16

no way. the flash head is larger.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:23 PM   #17

Hi Roy,

Haven't had power for over 4 days due to the freak storm last Wed. The damaging part of the storm lasted less than 10 minutes, but the 60-80 mph wind ended up taking out the electic for over 600,000 homes and businesses and severely crippled an area of over 100 sq miles. That, plus unusual flooding of the Des Plaines River, cutting off a lot of access, but not doing that much property damage, has kept the past few days interesting.

Have you ever seen a Better Beamer in person? It's just a two piece frame made of ABS plastic with two short arms that bend around the short sides of the flash head and is kept in place via a Velcro strip around the head. It projects forward from the sides of the head around 6.5". The Fresnel lens attaches to each of the frame sides via two very thin Velcro hook strips on the ends of the frame parts with two matching loop strips on the short ends of the Fresnel lens. You should be able to fabricate this in your sleep.

I can take som pics and give you dimensions if you'd like, but I don't know if the Fresnel lens you're using would have the same mag power, so you might have to experiment some to get it to work optimally.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:40 PM   #18

all i've seen is pictures. i know how far but this is not on the top of the list. do you use yours?? does it work?? is it worth the effort in other words.

roy
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:38 PM   #19

Hi Roy,

I've used it a number of times. I found that P-TTL, for example, limits its range -- the preflash takes away too much of the power at longer distances. I had a lot better results from the DS and a TTL flash. It's really hard for me to evaluate the benefit -- in most cases, the flash alone has been enough, and I hardly ever shoot in very low light conditions -- too hard to focus the long glass, and I just don't see owls or other birds that I'd need it for --

I'm leaning towards using flash more in marginal lighting situations that occur quite often for me. To get better IQ, I'm thinking about using a flash more mostly to cut the subject motion, but adding the weight of the flash to an already heavy lens/body combo will add to the problem of camera shake and require more tripod use, and force a significant change in my shooting style, so I'm not totally sold on the notion. I did just get a great deal on a CF tripod from Amnova, so we'll see how it goes.

I think that I'd only move it up the priority list if I was already using flash extensively, and found that even the big guns with a high GN didn't supply the light I needed. Even then, I don't think it would be even close to an everyday use item.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:06 PM   #20

roy did you ever get this made? i've started thinking about getting a "better beamer" or making one for my 540 flash head. i don't know... might just be easier to buy one.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote