Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:56 AM   #31

Doing a google search right now!

Dawg

I'll look into the staples one tomorrrow. Will have to cut it down and then play with it to get the distance right.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:01 PM   #32

I have changed my plans after looking again at my Zoom Thyristor and the way it zooms the fresnell lens in and out from zoom to wide angle. I'm making mine a box within a box and it will zoom from 3" to 6" from the face of the flash. Also will make it a 4" x 6" fresnell lens at the wide point as my head is already 3 1/2" X 2 1/2". I plan on having ball detents on the side so it will index out by 1/4" movements. That way the light focus can be adjusted incrementally. All will be made from Lexan and small screws and epoxy will fasten it together. Will probably have a slit with a double flange to attach it to the head. I plan on cutting a slot in the front of the beamer head so the fresnel lens can be dropped in, much like a Cokin filter holder. Give you the results in a few days. If it works I can build a few along and send them out to folks for the shipping and the material costs. Not trying to start a buisiness here and do not want any kind of profit.

Dawg

Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:14 PM   #33

from what i've read you want the lens at a certain distance from the head.
find that distance by taking the lens and projecting an image of a light bulb onto a piece of paper. when the bulb is in focus on the paper then that's the distance from the flash head the lens should be. that's the reason i got 2 lenses.. my distance should be about 4.75''.. good luck.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:47 PM   #34

That's the reason for the telescoping head....Makes getting the focus a snap. Will add a Delrin plastic set screw to lock it in! Got 1/4" and 1/8" lexan to play with. I'll make it as light as possible but still be rigid. Also what is the thickness of those fresnel lens you have?

Dawg
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:02 PM   #35

i don't know. maybe 30-40mil
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:34 PM   #36

I was lateley also looking at this BB. But most photo's are showing a flash setup with the flash placed at the lens instead at the flash hotshoe?

When you need a bracket and a hot shoe cord too and you don't use it that much it will be a big investment!

making an message about a post 1 page back:-) wasn't awake :roll:
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:00 PM   #37

i LOVE my off camera setup!!! best $$ i ever spent..

roy
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:49 PM   #38

Roy, try a LumiQuest® SoftBox for the support and put your lens in the end.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:19 AM   #39

As with the Better Beamer this first one is in two pieces and requires stick on Velcro to hold the lens in place. This then becomes the structural member at the outer end that keeps it all together. I've used 1/8" lexan and broke it 1/2" at 90 degrees for the stickon velcro to mount to. Got to get some tomorrow and the lens as well. This is just the first of many tries to come. Y'all be patient with this old fogey and I'll get it done...Step by Step! These were painted white on the outside to give it a reflective shiney white on the inside, then painted flat black over the white to be flat black on the outside.

Dawg

No. 1

Attached Images

Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:20 AM   #40

No. 2
Attached Images