Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:43 PM   #21

To be honest, it doesn't look as long as some of the zooms we all use - Sigma 70-300mm, or an 80-210mm, or 28-200mm.

Most of it depends on what shutter speed you are using. Bright conditions, with ISO 200 or 400 and you could be looking at 1/125 or faster. Use a flash for better results.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:22 PM   #22
TDN

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
I played around and you really need f/11+ to get good DOF. Impossible handheld though.
yep, f11 and 13 are the sweet spots for bugs etc.

This one is actually handheld:G
But trust me, it's one of my very few good macros I lack the patience

I mostly use the other great talent of this lens: portrait and low-light.

Almost all of the concert photos in my Concert Portfolio (click) were taken with this lens. I love it...especially if the guy with the 1D mark III and 70-200 f2.8 L next to me gets the exact same or less quality out of his gear

congrats on the new lens! hang on to it!

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:28 PM   #23

It all depends on your prospective when it comes to the size of this lens. It isn't allTHAT big when compared to another couple of lenses.

From left to right: DA*50-135, Viv S1 105, A*300.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #24

With hood on the DA* lens, the Viv S1 extended as long as it goes and it's hood up. Forgot to put up the hood on the A*300. When put in this company it doesn't look so big (and mine hasn't even been mounted on a camera yet).

P.S. Pictures taken with the kit lens.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:47 PM   #25

Heh, you're right, in that company, it doesn't look like such a bad-boy.

How heavy is the 50-135? It looks big but I would think that being mostly frc it would be wayyyy lighter than the S1 or A*
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:38 PM   #26

I should probably dig out the weights of these lenses in the specs. However, just based on feel - the Viv is the heaviest and the DA*50-135 is about the same weight as the A*300. It's actually easier to shoot with hand-held because the A*300's weight is all in the front element, making it more awkward. The DA is definitely better balanced, as is the Viv.

I took a couple of shots of dust collectors (knicknacks and a Pepsi can) tonight using the on-board flash. Nothing worth posting, just something to get a feel of the lens. I can see why someone not used to long, heavy lenses would say tripod only - I found that I could feel the extra weight in my wrists fairly quickly. While I'll be able to handhold this lensfor a while, it won't befor as long as any other one I own. But it sure is one really SHARP lens!

I also took a couple of pics with the Phoenix on the K100 (indoors, used on-board flash like I did with the pictures above). It was interesting - the white balance on the K100is very distracting (compared to the K10), but the Phoenix with the adaptor on held it's own remarkedly well. Tomorrow I'll play some more at lunch and switch the lenses between cameras so I'll get a better idea of what's the differences in camera and what's the differences in lenses.

My original idea was to sell the Phoenix, but now I'm not so sure. I like its light weight for some things and it's got some scrapes on the plastic housing (it'svery light-weight plastic and mars easily) so I wouldn't get much for it, even though the optics are still fine. Maybe I'll just add it to my collection of rarely used lenses, but can't quite sell or toss out. I'll start carrying the Viv full time for the moment, leaving the Phoenix at homeafter tomorrowand see how I tolerate the extra weight.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:47 AM   #27

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if these pics convey a sense of scale, but this thing is MONSTROUS. IMPOSSIBLE to hand-hold, and I'm no 'pussy.'

Weighs a ton and within seconds you get these low amplitude shakes that worsen as time passes. Macro is strictly tripod-only.
What is its wt? 2 kg? What is the chance of using a tripod out in the field for macro? I think you have a K100D which is lot lighter than K10D?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:30 AM   #28

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Gazander wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if these pics convey a sense of scale, but this thing is MONSTROUS. IMPOSSIBLE to hand-hold, and I'm no 'pussy.'

Weighs a ton and within seconds you get these low amplitude shakes that worsen as time passes. Macro is strictly tripod-only.
What is its wt? 2 kg? What is the chance of using a tripod out in the field for macro? I think you have a K100D which is lot lighter than K10D?

Daniel
I have the same "new" old stock Vivitar Series 1 and on my K100D it does not balance very well (same for any older heavy lens like A 70-210mm F4).
I use a Manfrotto 055MF3 tripod and a Giottos MH-1001-652 medium size ball head with it: it is OK but a bigger heavier tripod/head would work better.
Recently, I acquired Pentax D-FA 50mm F2.8 macro and it is wonderful: good for portraiture, portable, uber-sharp. Since I got it I don't use Vivitar anymore, that is why I am considering selling it together with my FA 50mm F1.4
The thing is that I am not crazy after macro shots just trying to get better close-up shots which are not possible with regular lenses.

Here is one taken hand-held in my front yard in poor light with D-FA 50mm F2.8 lens (ISO 800, 1/15s, F5.6):

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:19 PM   #29

I really like the image quality of the viv - there's a quality to pictures taken with it that is nice. I can't quite define it.

That said, the humble Phoenix holds up quite well to the Viv. I took a bunch of pictures this morning to try to compare the two lenses. As usual, I had trouble getting the exact same picture out of the two cameras - I'm not interested in shooting charts or brick walls. Here's a few comparison shots:

K10, Vivitar, full frame:
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:23 PM   #30

All these pictures were taken in jpg mode -butIended upusing Lightroom to adjust exposure in one of the grape pictures and both of the cable pictures. I might have shot raw - it would have ended up being the same amount of work.

K100, Phoenix, full frame. By the way, these are the few grapes on my vine that actually lasted long enough to ripen - most of the time the birds get them before they make it this far. Since I never manage to get any of them, I tend to ignore the vine, even though the grapes are quite good when watered occasionally.
Attached Images