Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:25 PM   #31

Same K10 picture, cropped without any resizing. You can see the size difference due to the greater number of pixels between the K10 and the K100.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:26 PM   #32

Same K100 picture: By the way, I used the on-board flash for these.
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:29 PM   #33

This time the Phoenix is on the K10. It's such a boring picture that I'm only going to post the ff versions. These two pictures were taken at slightly different apertures, while the grapes were taken at the same aperture and therefore have the same DOF. The focus is slightly different in each picture - I'm not that great at matching things exactly.
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:34 PM   #34

Last one - I'm sure I've bored you all! As you can see, the Phoenix isn't horrible looking when compared to the Vivitar - it just has a somewhat different feel/look to it, regardless of which camera it is on. I still think the Phoenix (or the other various versions of this lens) are a definite low-cost alternative, especially if you don't mind the matched adaptor and its otherwise cheap plastic build. I'm going to have a hard time selling it since it will be useful when I don't want to carry a heavy lens.

Another thing about these pictures - they were taken using a monopod either with the camera mounted or with using the pole to help stabilize my stance. It was early morning and the sun hadn't hit this part of my yard yet.
Attached Images

Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:41 PM   #35

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This time the Phoenix is on the K10. It's such a boring picture that I'm only going to post the ff versions. These two pictures were taken at slightly different apertures, while the grapes were taken at the same aperture and therefore have the same DOF. The focus is slightly different in each picture - I'm not that great at matching things exactly.

If it is that boring why didn't you post it in the boring image thread that Daniel started.

A little off topic but, I have an old Pentax M 100mm f4, since it is only a 1:2 macro, and doesn't have a 1:1 accessory lens like the Phoenix, I haven't used it much (the A 70-210mm f4 will give about the same magnification). The lens is very compact and has a recessed front element which gives the effect of a lens hood. Here is an example I did shoot with the 100mm:

I don't remember the aperture but the DOF was quite limited. This is on glass and the white specks are pollen.

If I were into macro more I think the Vivitar / Kiron / Lester A. Dine would be at the top of my wish list.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:27 PM   #36

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if these pics convey a sense of scale, but this thing is MONSTROUS. IMPOSSIBLE to hand-hold, and I'm no 'pussy.'

Weighs a ton and within seconds you get these low amplitude shakes that worsen as time passes. Macro is strictly tripod-only.
DUDE, this is total bull sh!t!!!!

I NEVER! use a tripod, NEVER!! take a look here
http://picasaweb.google.com/roysphoto/Macros

and read it and weep. there's not a tripod mounted shot in there.
you're stating problems you may have. maybe you are a ''pussy cat''. i have the shakes pretty bad but i use this rig, always HHed... along with the lens i've added about a pound for the flash and another 6-8 ounces for the grip and cables..
maybe you just haven't developed enough technique to shoot HHed.

there's absolutely no offense meant here. i just don't like the red hi-lighted text above stated as if it was etched in stone.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:15 AM   #37

it's true for me, man.

i lift a decent amount in the gym adn I push myself for all i'm worth.... but I've never had steady hands.... precision work is tough going for me.

Out of 10 shots, there may be 1 that I find acceptable either in terms of DOF or blurriness/shakiness. Only flash I have is onboard, so it ain't much help. Maybe it's my posture, i dunno.

Seem to get a lot more keepers with the FA50 though

Nice shots BTW

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:50 AM   #38

Yowza!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PENTAX-K-A-LESTER...QQcmdZViewItem

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:58 AM   #39

as I live in UK and everything is more expensive here. I paid for mine 165GBP +10GBP postage, that means 340$ and it was 6 months ago. don't regret it though, very nice lens.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:03 AM   #40

Looks very similar to the Viv series 1 105 macro...I can't get over the fact that some think this lens (the viv) is a monster in size and weight. Seems kinda toy like to me. The thing I like most is it doesn't feel like something that would go with a Barbie dream house...No plastic feeling here at all just small and light weight.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote