Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11

It's not so much envy of the sports applications 9I can't care much less about it) but the tech behind it and what Pentax can do with that level of technology to produce something our style of photographer appreciate
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 1:15 PM   #12

Well, the K10D comes very close to the D200s capability for a much lower price, perhaps a faster K10D with live view would foot the bill (12MP would be nice), and of course at a Pentax style price.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:46 PM   #13

Not that I could afford one, but both the Nikon and Canon are SWEET! I'm sure the Canon is way beyond expensive. Probably in the same range as the Digital Medium formats. The live view isn't that impressive to me, because all of them so far don't allow for auto focus. The larger sensors and higher fps are cool and 51 point AF? WOW.

I wonder if Pentax will be coming out with anything new in the near future?I don't expect specs like these of course but a little higher end would be nice. I love my K10 but I wouldn't mind the same body with a better sensor. Less noise at the same mp or larger would be VERY sweet.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:06 AM   #14

I don't know if 51 point AF would be a blessing ora curse - I must say I rarely switch the focus point on my K10D - it is on auto or centre (centre most of the time).

What I would like to see is predictive autofocus (kinda like the focus trap thingy), and "follow through" focus. If I am a falconry display, or in the wild shooting BiF, I want to be able to set the 1st focus point on the left, then once the bird is focussed, I want the cam to switch focal points across the frame, not expect the left sensor to be the only one used.

There are problably few other minor tweaks, but most are just due to the way I shoot, and would probably not serve any great purpose....

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:37 AM   #15

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
What I would like to see is predictive autofocus (kinda like the focus trap thingy), and "follow through" focus. If I am a falconry display, or in the wild shooting BiF, I want to be able to set the 1st focus point on the left, then once the bird is focussed, I want the cam to switch focal points across the frame, not expect the left sensor to be the only one used.

Dal
I want that too. Right now I can only use my manual focus 300mm (at times frantically) to follow through. And of course, I have got a lot less keeper.

I know a couple of former Pentaxians who opted for the dark side because of the lack of Pentax telelens and the BIF capability.

I doubt if they (who have jumped ship) are happier and they will be going through a cycle that Canon/Nikon want us to do - constantly upgrading our electronics/hardware instead of our skill as a photographer.

It is irritating to spend more time to get the keepers that I want. And at times I swear too. But on second thought, that may be better spending time to get used to our gear.

Quote:
Ira wrote
As for Pentax? I don't see them jumping into this market. They haven't had a "serious" pro camera model since the LX, but they have had cameras that were firmly planted in the real "bread and butter" of photography, the semi-professional or maybe I should say "budget professional" market The local newspaper photojournalists, the weekend wedding photographers, the serious amateurs, these are the people who bought and used the SuperA, the PZ-1 and the MZ-S. Now they have the K10D.
645D is out. FF is also out. So what else?

Pentax can still do well if it excels in all area in price and performance except BIF or fast pace sport. And that is still the biggest pie of the market.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:29 PM   #16

The D200 does have predictive auto foucs.

Read this link here:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_..._review_3.html

I do agree with Daniel that it will take time to get used to the gear you have to get the desired results you are after.

It can be irritating and bothersome but keep trying and the results will come.

At first I was not happy at all with the D200 as Daniel stated but with some research and hands on trying out what I found it is nice to have the ability to shoot the style I have come to enjoy.

Bang for your buck no one can beat Pentax and the images are every bit as good as the competition.

Those new lenses out for Pentax is pricey though as well.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote