Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:21 PM   #11

You could look at the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 as well... it will cost you about half of what the Pentax DA* lens will...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:25 PM   #12

Thanks

Would the 18-200 be ok or is the 18-50 better ?
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:30 PM   #13

f/2.8 beats f/3.5-f/6.3 any day.

That lens is actually a very good deal at that price point
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:00 PM   #14
Super Moderator

If you are going to be shooting in the church I would honestly suggest getting your hands on one of the f2.8 options mentioned but also consider the Tamron 18-50 f2.8. They all have their strengths and weaknesses so you need to decide which feature is most important to you. Churches are notoriously dark so to get the best out of your work getting more light into the camera is going to be a real winner.

Now just to throw another thing in for consideration, do you have any form of backup re 2nd body, lens coverage, flash? I'm not sure if you are being paid or not however it is worth making sure you have covered the bases if there is a problem. If you don't have spare can you borrow another body from a friend (does not have to be Pentax as long as you have a good lens)? As you are charging for other work I would suggest investing in a 2nd body otherwise it could get difficult if you turn up and something is dead, in the long run it could save you a lot, there is nothing worse than getting a bad rep as a photographer.

OK that's theserious stuff out of the way,now to help you stop worrying, firstly your work looks good and you have a good eye so keep on doing what you doing in that respect. Spend time looking at the work of wedding photographers for inspiration here area coupleof the ones that I like to keep an eye on.

http://meninenuotrauka.lt/this is probably my fave, the guy is Lithuanian so you won't be able to read the site (unless you are far more clever than me) but if you go to the bottom section all of the recent weddings are there and I think they will blow your mind!!! This is ideally where I would like my wedding work to reach so keep a close eye on what he is doing, also on another forum he is pretty happy to answer q's on his work.

http://www.bdweddingphotography.co.uk/gallery.htmAnother photog I like the work of very natural and fresh

If you go into the shoot with lots of ideas of what you would like to create then that will help you relax which is going to make your day a lot easier.

Get out there and have some fun, chat to the couple and learn about their personalities so that these can be bought out when you shoot the wedding as this will make a big difference.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:31 PM   #15

The write up on one of the sites Mark mentioned is very good sdvice, they describe how they will shoot the wedding here http://www.bdweddingphotography.co.uk/style.htm

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:14 PM   #16

Thank you so much guys !!!

I am checking out the site now, also I am thinking of taking a trip to Henrey's tomorrow for the 18-50 2.8 they only have the Sigma though.

Any other advice is great and very helpfull, I do have an external flash (sigma ef-500 DG super) and am getting paid but only a very small amount.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:24 PM   #17
Super Moderator

That's cool the 500 Super has plenty of power, get used to using it both inside and out so you can get an even lighting balance.

I will mention again getting your hands on a backup body (beg, steal, borrow), especially as you are getting paid, even a small amount.

Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:51 PM   #18

Thanks Mark

Do you have a suggestion for a back up body ? I also have 2 batteries and a 4/2gb and 500 memory discs.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:56 PM   #19

Do we even have an option for the 70-200 (300?) range for f/2.8? This thread got me hunting B&H fpr something to fill that gap and I found nothing. It seems that if you're gonna do weddings having a nice fast telezoom like that for candids/portraits would be a neccesity.

Last wedding I attended the photographer (not too talkative, but she was busy and I was drunk) used a Canon set up and at the reception and never strayed from he big zoom and bounce flash. It looked to be a 70-200 2.8, although I don't think it had IS

Nice pics but she overdid it with the B&W with post processed image blur. Nice once in a while but batched the whole 'roll' that way.

Sandra, you will do an awesome job, you've got a wonderful eye for composition and wonderful technique.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:07 PM   #20
Super Moderator

I'm not a Pentax user so one of the other guys here will have a good idea on how the other models stack up. A backup is a backup (no really LOL), so it does not need to be the latest and greatest so one of the original 6pm models will do the job, but if this is not going to be a regular thing then try to borrow or hire.

I made the call a few months ago to add a Canon 5D to my 30D so I had a good package and if something goes wrong I can keep on shooting. During the day I like to shoot with 2 bodies so getting different lens options is easy. In the service I use a 70-200mm f2.8 on the 30D (1.6x crop) and a 24-105mm f4 on the 5D (full frame). Then when doing the portrait session with the B&G pop the 85mm f1.8 on the 30D and keep the 24-105 on the 5D, this allows for a good range of shots very quickly as you don't want to keep them waiting.

CyberCoyote, as yet I've not seen any 70-200mm f2.8 for the Pentax system which is a real shame, however I can't see why Sigma won't be including their model with Pentax mount (I hope). At the moment they haven't even released the 50-150mm f2.8 so I think they are a bit short sighted with the amount of Pentax bodies out there now.