Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:01 PM   #21

The Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 is out in the K mount, I have seen one for sale somewhere online and didn't Crashman pick one up?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:27 PM   #22

the only thing i can add

if it hasnt been said already

is to take lots of photos, make sure you have enough memory

have some one that knows the Bride/groom to help you be organised
to go and find the people needed for the next shots sort of thing

being nice to the brides mum goes a long way too lol

and have fun, smile lots, its infectious
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:27 PM   #23

I would love the 2.8 70-200 but it's a little out of my price range right now ( oh to win the lottery lol) I thank you all for the advice and well wishes

I have asked for someone to organize everyone for the group and family shots and I have a million ideas for different shots and angles.

I am feeling a little calmer now and am going out for some practice shots tomorrow morning.
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:54 AM   #24
Super Moderator

That's cool...... I forgot to mention the best man is your best friend (well usually), as they are generallythe one who should be bringing everyone together for the group shots.

Another thing I've just thought of is shoot RAW so you can sort white balance if it is out and also the dynamic range at a wedding usually pushes the camera (white dress, black suits)so withRAW it captures more info so if exposure is not perfect you can pull back more detail.

I agree on the memory side, I take 16Gb with me to a wedding as I like to take a lot of shots throughout the day on top of the usual.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:07 AM   #25

Mark has hit on most of the big issues. I do shoot Pentax, and before getting the second body I always carried a film camera with at least three rolls of film as a backup. Concerning RAW, I admit that I shoot almost exclusively jpeg, mainly because I do not have the computing power to process large batches of RAW files, however in the church I shoot RAW since I have no control over lighting. I also take a custom white balance with my small studio flash units (don't get too excited they are extremely modest units) so that I can shoot jpeg without white balance issues.

Time to process now, you have the ideas, you have advice on how to best use your equipment, your kit lens will cover at least 90% of the shots you will need (and want).

NOTE: Mark has two pro level lenses mentioned in his post, the fast 85mm and the f2.8 zoom. These are expensive lenses that most of us cannot afford, at least not until we have actually made a few dollars from this hobby. On a budgetthe lenses you have nowcan fill the bill, they are not a fast lens but can still be used to good effect especially in good light. And of course the 50mm f1.4 makes an excellent portrait lens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:41 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Sorry was not saying that you need to have lots of expensive lenses (although we all like toys), I was just saying how I work with changing lenses etc.

I would still suggest looking at the f2.8 standard zoom unless you are able to go the the site of the wedding and confirm that you have enough light for the kit lens. If you do then it is fine, I just find that all to often churches are not bright enough.

If you want a a really good and interesting read (great for anyone interested in wedding photography) then check out http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LBb5which is an 'interview'/q&a with one of the top pros. His style is different to a lotof pros but fits in well with what I like (just not brave enough to shoot a lot of!!).

I think you will find it very insightful.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:52 AM   #27

Mark

No offence meant, I was just pointing out that photographers, like yourself, who have been in the hobby for a while will often have the very capable lenses to fit the occasion. A young friend of mine has a Canon 20D and the 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma, a very nice package.

I always follow your input since it is usually very insightful.

Respectfully,
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:56 AM   #28
Super Moderator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Mark

No offence meant, I was just pointing out that photographers, like yourself, who have been in the hobby for a while will often have the very capable lenses to fit the occasion. A young friend of mine has a Canon 20D and the 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma, a very nice package.
LOL, I didn't take it as offencive but I do realise I often go off on one without putting in as much info as I should (probably because I'm meant to be working rather than posting on a photo forum LOL). I'm fortunate as I do already make some money from this game and do hope to make it full time in the next year or so so have invested quite a bit so I have the kit..... now if I can only find someone to buy the skill from.

Quote:
I always follow your input since it is usually very insightful.
I wouldn't I make it all up as I go along
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:47 AM   #29

If at all possible I would try to attend the rehearsal-my partner and I try to do that every time. Visiting the venue helps to eliminate some of the surprises the next day. You will get to interact with all the participants and everyone will feel more comfortable during the wedding. This shot was taken with a back-up camera (not a Pentax, sorry) by my partner.
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:54 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Great point, I take that opportunity to capture some details of the venue (I go for any banners, flowers if they are already out, windows etc) as you have some extra time as well as checking out the motion of the service. Also shoot some shots of the rehearsal as this will help you tosee what works and what doesn't so you can make a change before the day.