Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:20 PM   #51
PDL

Now that the event is over - let me chime in.

Here is a site (one of many) that provides a suggested checklist of "must have" shots for weddings.

http://weddings.about.com/od/photogr...gchecklist.htm

In the distant past I shot a few weddings for friends and provided a set of 4x6 pictures to them. I was working at a store where we sent off film for processing so I had a good chance at 24 hour turnaround. I gave the couple the negatives as my wedding present - they all used them to make whatever images they wanted.

Since moving to digital - I do not do weddings, too many people out there plus there is always "the brother, uncle, aunt or warm bodied friend" who will do it cheaper.

One of the guys I worked with did his first wedding and it was a near disaster. He did not receive a formal invitation - they changed the start time and he showed up just as the ceremony was starting. He did not scout out thebuilding and could not find any outlets for his big flash setup. The only flash he had was a add on that over heated after three flashes. He had plenty of batteries so he swapped them out after 4 flashes. He shot in RAW so he spent the next week hand tweaking the images. He gave them DVD's (yes more that one, plus copies) of the images - no copyright, no mention of his name - both RAW and corrected JPEG's.

The mother of the bride (who was paying for the images) demanded a discount - he refused - since he was almost late and only had one flash and was running around like a near dead chicken. He left before she thought he should too. All this for 600 USD and he provided 8x10 prints for proofs (something like 20 of them) and a large number of 4x6's that he printed on his own printer. Overall he made about 50USD, if that, on the whole thing (after five before the wedding 2 hour "discussions" for free)

I suggest that if you do this again - do not do it for gratis, do not get drunk at the reception, do not eat to much and get everything you can in writing - set the expectations early. Buy another camera body (backups are essential), buy more SD cards than you think you can carry. Keep unused cards in one pocket (pockets are essential - dress for the job do not be part of the wedding party), when loading the camera format the card, on the card you removed - move the switch into locked position and put it in another pocket. If you pull out an SD card that is locked - put it back in your pocket - trust the methodology. Carry a small solid state voice recorder and record people reactions (makes for an interesting slide show with real voices of real people - and charge out the yin-yang for it). He has since moved to New Mexico and he destroyed all the images before he moved.

Preparation is the key, know your equipment, know the site, take as few parts (lenses - flashes etc) as you can. If you have too many goodies - you will miss the good stuff because you will be changing stuff when the best images come around.

Sorry for being long winded.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:39 AM   #52

Thanks PDL I have saved the link.

All pics are now uploaded here http://sandrabell-photography.smugmug.com/

If anyone has any time to have a peek and let me know if they look ok I will be forever gratfull.

I have heard that they will look different on different monitors ?
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:17 AM   #53

sandra7109 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks PDL I have saved the link.

All pics are now uploaded here http://sandrabell-photography.smugmug.com/

If anyone has any time to have a peek and let me know if they look ok I will be forever gratfull.

I have heard that they will look different on different monitors ?
Very very good all of them. As a documentery of the happy occasion I think you did quite well. I would hire you for it I know. Congrats on a job well done.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:06 PM   #54

Thanks bigdawg :homey:
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote