Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:51 PM   #1

Hello I am doing a favor for an old horsey client and photographing their daughters wedding * insert stressed smiley here*

I have the Pentax K10 and an external flash, for lenses I have the 18-55 / the 70-300/ and a manual focus 50mm f1.4 .

I would like a lens that will cover wide angles for the group shots but will let me zoom for the nice close ups ( Making any sense ? ) I would love as much imput as possible ( wedding is in 3 weeks) and I am a wreck.

Thanks so much in advance
Sandra
sandra7109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:39 PM   #2

sandra7109 wrote:
Quote:
I would like a lens that will cover wide angles for the group shots but will let me zoom for the nice close ups ( Making any sense ? ) I would love as much imput as possible ( wedding is in 3 weeks) and I am a wreck.
Sandra

Sandra
I assume you do not want to acquire more lens/equipment at this stage(such as the new DA* zoom ).
Use your kit lens in between 22-50mm to avoid the softness at both end. For group shots, 22mm is barely ok
Your M50mmF1.7 is a great lens. But you will find it quite cumbersome when you move around .
Assess the venue and use bounce flash as much as possible to avoid harsh flash shadow. If ceiling is too high, you may need a Gary Fong or a bounce card
I saw the impressive pict you took.
You should be more than fine at the end of the day.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:45 PM   #3

Thanks Daniel

I would buy a new lens if I had to the thing is I want to be able to do as much as possible without changing the lens all the time.

Wanted to add I love the fashion show photos you posted VERY nice !!!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:26 PM   #4

Well, for the candid pics you'll have to use your best judgement as to what lens/settings stc. But for the posed shots be sure to take a tripod and if you have one a remote release.If not use the 2 second delay. Good luck and have fun.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:28 PM   #5

sandra7109 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Daniel

I would buy a new lens if I had to the thing is I want to be able to do as much as possible without changing the lens all the time.

Wanted to add I love the fashion show photos you posted VERY nice !!!
Oh and if you can afford to buy the new lens, I don't own it but it would seem ideal for weddings. The 50-135 * that just came out. 1000 bucks or so though.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6

Sandra,

I just did my first (solo) wedding this past Saturday. I fully understand your concern with swapping lenses. I was in the same boat. I had the 18-55 kit, 70-300, 28-105, & a 50mm f/2. I wasn't comfortable w/ the 28-105 so I found a 55-200 on ebay for $110 & used that & the kit for the majority of the shots.Granted, I wish that I would have played withthe 55-200 a little more beforehandbut Iwas able to make the best of it.

A couple of tips that Ifound along the way.
1) If you are going to be changing lenses frequently, (& I know this is easier for a guy) I wore cargo pants...or, dependent on the formality of the affair, a photographer's vest is beneficial for keeping spare batteries close at hand.

2)You can plan your approach to the ceremony so that you don't have to change lens that often...just be sure that your approach meets the expectations of the bride & groom.

3)Check your flash frequently...mine got loose & slid off the contacts just enough that I had an issue as the bridal party was comingup the aisle & then again when the lights where down low for the "first dances" & I couldn't see what had happened. Worked out ok though...got the bridal party coming down the aisle & then reshot a few of the dance shots & they were happy.

4)Also, if you're using the flash frequently, know how many flashes you get per battery life. If you can, set up your chargers in the back of church ( or otherwise) to swap them out & recharged if necessary.

5) Daniel is absolutely correct about assessing the bounce of your flash. Get there early to get test shots(if possible). I contacted Gary Fong's website about getting a Lightsphere (looked great, especially for weddings!) but they didn't make one to fit my Sigma ef500st :sad::sad::sad:so I had to depend on the onboard diffuser & the correct angle of the bounce. Which wasn't bad...luckily it was in a small country church with a 15' high ceiling. I couldn't imagine doing a really large church without slave lighting, which I don't have any experience with ....yet!

6) Bring an able bodied assistant with you if possible. My wife was a HUGE help! Between grabbing batteries, fixing dresses, pointing possible shots, helping to line up people, letting folks know who needed to be ready for the next set of shots & MOST IMPORTANT ...she was there when I was getting frustrated & just needed to vent! Of course, she didn't understand the technical stuff but I'm the type that "thinks outloud" shall we say & it would have looked pretty darn funny me talking to myself to think situations through! So....if you have a VERY close friend or significant otherthat you can sweet talk into donating6 hours or so of their time, it'll be most beneficial for your sanity.:G:G:G

Sandra, I wish you the best of luck & hope that you have as easy of a wedding party as the ones that I did for my 1st. They really were a great bunch of younger folks (early 20's) & I wish them nothing but the best in life.

Hope this helps!
Ron

PS...one more thing...if they have a DJ or band, get a good dialog going with whomever is controlling the microphone during the reception. You may get dependent on them to make a few announcements for you & also to help plan the timing of the dances, cake cutting, etc. Doesn't sound like much...but it helps!

PPS...TALK YOURSELF OUT OF DOING THIS!!! LOL!!!

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:19 AM   #7

you will do just fine !!!!! i saw some of your shots. they are really nice

i had to do a wedding just recently with no prep time

so just be glad they gave you a heads up 3 week in advance

here are some of my photos, the couple i did them for are really really happy with them that is all that counts especially after i did some PP on them . these are the originals

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:50 AM   #8

Not much to add here just a couple of points. The kit lens will cover most of the required shots at a wedding, something longer is nice for individual portraits (or the 50mm, if you can accurately focus it, for its limited DOF). The last wedding I did had a small bridal party and I used my Sigma 24-135mm almost exclusively.

Practice, practice, practice. Grab whatever happless victim might be available and try out all of the equipment, and shots, you expect to be using. Since blown highlights can be an issue, make sure one of your practice subjects is wearing white to simulate a wedding gown. This is where you get your flash photography figured out, including any bounce device you may use (Note: there are several makeshift devices described on the internet which do a decent bounce effect, check them out)

An assistant is a big stress reliever, my wife Annette works with me all of the time. She does the posing for the formal portraits and gets lots of candids (mainly around the door to the church for entrances and exits). Some examples of our work can be seen at http://aicphotography.tripod.com/weddings/index.html

Pay as much attention to the background as the subject, nothing worse than a picture of a blushing bride with a tree growing out of her head.

If they want outdoor shots, look for shade. Bright overhead sunlight makes for terrible pictures, overcast is great for light but then you have to try and avoid getting the gray skies in the picture. A large gazebo can be a great location since it supplies shade but doesn't block out a background view.

Don't drink too much coffee, use the bathroom before the service, be polite but firm when necessary, have a good strong drink when it's all over.

Keep your head

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:19 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, while I am still a mess at least I can keep this thread for referance.

Still looking for a new lens and hope to find one soon so I can practice.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:15 PM   #10

sandra7109 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone, while I am still a mess at least I can keep this thread for referance.

Still looking for a new lens and hope to find one soon so I can practice.
If you manage money-wise, you may consider the new DA*16-50mm2.8. That saves you a lot of hassle swapping lenses. the main problem is acquiring it as Henry still has not stocked that yet. May not be soon enough for your assignment though

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote