Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1

A warning to new k10d users - when removing the SD card, don'tlet your fingerslip offafter pushing against the card. With the k100D, the ejection spring is so weak you have to insert a fingernail into the groove at the end of the card and wedge it out. They evidently attempted to correct this by strengthening the spring in the k10d, but overdid it. After having the card hit the floor (for the third time) after flyingseveral feet through the air :O, I may finally remember to holdmy finger firmly against it. This may not happen with later examples if anyone noticed and bothered to complain, but owners of early examples are stuck with it - not worth a recall for an "operator error" so "trivial". :angry:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2

i've read that before. luckily, a SD card and it's memory are almost indestructible.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Thankfully I haven't had this trouble yet - maybe it takes a woman's touch :blahit's late since I was up at 3am this morning and my sense of humor has gone way out there, hasn't it?). I'm glad it hasn't as I sometimes change cards in awkward places. I'd hate to see my card go flying off a cliff somewhere...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
I'd hate to see my card go flying off a cliff somewhere...

All the more reason to be careful. A wildlife shot could be a once-in-a-lifetime capture - what a nightmare scenario that would be to lose irreplaceable images before retrieving them. Maybe it is not such a trivial issue after all.

If you are in the field for an extended time it would not be a bad idea to carry a device like Aleratec's Copy Cruiser Plus - you can copy or move files from the card to another card or a USB thumb drive for backup. Not a bad idea anyway even if you carry multiple SD cards, since they are so small then can easily get lost.

Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:31 PM   #5

My problem with wildlife has more to do with operator headspace and timing. For instance, I had been taking some wide-angle shots from near the top of Mt. Pinos using an M 24mm 2.8 lens. A Stellars Jay landed on a branch not that far from me - the blue was almost irridescent the way the sun was shining on it. I quickly switched to the A*300 and got off several quick shots before it flew off. When I reviewed them I realized I had the camera still on M mode and the aperture/shutter speed combination overexposed the shots beyond redemption. That's one of the reasons I find it hard to leave one of the cameras at home when I'm out hiking.

Speaking of which, they are re-opening much of the national forest around me tomorrow! Too bad I have to work...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:24 PM   #6

i havent had any problems so far with the card

all mine have been the "wrong exposure through not thinking" type too
way to many
sigh
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:17 PM   #7

I have one of the very earliest K10Ds and have not experienced any problems with the SD card slot or its spring. Press on the card, it pops up about 1/3 and I pull it out.
rodeknyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:59 PM   #8

I haven't rec'd my K10D yet, but I never had a problem with the *istD, *istDS, *istDL, or K100... All of them would push the card out about 1/3 of the way... never under or over pushed.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:23 PM   #9

Just got my K10D today!

Don't see a problem with ejecting the card at all. But, I do NOT like the 'unlock lever' to get access to it, or the battery. Will have to make sure I keep a long fingernail so I can get to it. That's my only complaint so far. The rest is WOW!
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:39 PM   #10

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I haven't rec'd my K10D yet, but I never had a problem with the *istD, *istDS, *istDL, or K100... All of them would push the card out about 1/3 of the way... never under or over pushed.
The SD cards I use in my K100 turned out to be counterfeits, so they may be a hair too thick or too wide, but they work OK except that they don't pop out far enough. The cards for my K10, however, are genuine. slight variations in card and/or slotdimensions may explain this - if so, it could happen to anyone). (The counterfeits won't work in the K1o, so I don't interchange them).