Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:10 AM   #11

I'm not sure whether he had noticed me or not - while I shot these with the 50-135 (at 135), I wasn't all THAT close (didn't want to get wet, even though it was hot that day!). There were other people around, but he seemed to be concentrating on what he was doing, not on me. Definitely not an arranged pose.

I always thought it was like a garden hose, only magnified. If the water is on full blast and you leave a hose on the ground, it moves around (pressure). A fire hose is a HUGE garden hose and I have no idea what the volume of water going from a fire hydrant to a pumper truck, then pumped out to a nozzle, but it's got to be huge. That water sure goes a LONG way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:50 PM   #12
TDN

Harriet, that last one is a magnificent street shot!

great composition, the way the waterbeam goes right into the corner.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:49 PM   #13

With the weather sealing, though, you had the option to.

How are you liking the DA* so far?

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
50-135 (at 135), I wasn't all THAT close (didn't want to get wet, even though
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:01 AM   #14

The DA* is on theK10 most of the time now (it's also fun to use on the K100, but not as quiet). I love it - can't decide if I like it better than the A*300 or not, since they are such different animals. It's getting more work - does nice close-up stuff (not macro), quick to focus, it's normally easy to see when its not in focus because its so sharp, and it has a quality that can't be quite defined. It's main drawback is the significant vignetting wide open when shooting something in the sky - it's not half as noticeable with ordinary objects. F2.8 on a medium tele lens has a really small DOF - I sometimes struggle with focus (my K10has always slightly backfocused, but not enough to be out of specs - just enough to throw you off if you expect anything before your focus point to be in focus). Otherwise its a joy to use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:44 AM   #15

Today I finally admitted something to myself, my MF skills are appalling. As a result of that revelation I removed the split image finder screen from my (ex-Harriet's) DS and put the stock screen back. From now on I will rely on the beep. I am not in a financial position to get into F*, FA*, DA* or limited lenses right now but I have started to collect fast FA primes. The FA 35mm f2 is scheduled to arrive today (hope so or I will have to wait until next Tuesday). I am planning on ordering the FA 50mm f1.4 this evening. Pentax fast tele lenses are still too expensive but hopefully I will eventually find something I can afford, in the meantime the slow 100-300mm FA will do.

Harriet, you must take some of the credit (blame) for this since the second camera body has really gotten Annette into the hobby in a big way ( http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/). This paves the way for another small bout of LBA.

BTW the fire hose is a perfect example of Newton's law of action and reaction, the same principle behind a rocket engine.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote