Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:33 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

For those forum members who have upgraded from the DL/DS/DS2 series to the K10D, I'd be interested to know who much quieter the latter is when the shutter is pressed. Recently I was using my DL at a business conference and could not help noticing how "loud" the shutter was in a otherwise quiet conference room. I've noticed that higher end SLR's from brand N and C seem extremely quiet.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:05 AM   #2

The K10 is quieter, but not by all that much. It has a better sound to it than the K100 does, and I don't remember any difference between the DS and the K100 (though it has been a while since I sold the DS).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:24 PM   #3

Hi Jay,

I currently am using both the DS and the K10. The K10 is just a little quieter, and Harriet said, the sound is different. It's hard to describe the K10 shutter sound -- what comes to mind is that it's "squishier" -- not a bad thing, just different --

The thing to keep in mind is -- is the sound actually disruptive in the environment you're using it, or is it just your perception -- in a very quiet room, I think that any DSLR shutter would be noticeable, and potentially disturbing, but if everyone knows that you're there to record the event, then they tend to ignore it, regardless of the actual relative decibel level. Sometimes self-consciousness gets in your way more than theirs -- unless there were objections, I wouldn't sweat it. . .

If you want a stealth camera, go to a non-interchangeable lens "compact", almost silent -- unless the IQ is insufficient, in which case you're stuck . . . I personally like to use the Panasonic FZ1 and FZ30 for inconspicuous candids, but the light has to be pretty good, both for IQ and focusing. In limited light (no flash) situations, I'll take the high ISO performance of the 6.1 MP sensored D-series bodies and the K100 and let the image quality trump he sound.

Just my 2ยข. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

Thanks Harriet and Scott for your feedback. You may have a point about the issue of self perception being an issue. I do seem to recall however in an event I was at a photographer was using a Contax DSLR andthe shutter sounded very muffled and "squishy" versus the traditional "cluckety -thshlcik" (pardon the use of the technical term)of the SLR's that I have owned. I figured that the muffled sound of the shutter is part of what you getwith a $5000 body!!

I imagine with nature/wildlife photography as well a quiet shutter would have it's merits; I know that when I'm photographing humming birds, they seem to get spooked by the sound of the shutter.

I'd be interested in more feedback from other K10D users!

Thanks, Jay
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:35 PM   #5

at the end of this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10D/page4.asp

you can download a mp3 with a recording of the shutter noise.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:32 PM   #6

Delius, thanks...I tried the link but it did not seem to want to load..not sure if it is my PC or the source. In any event, I guess I should go to my local camera store and try one out. If anyone knows of an alternate link or can share more opinons, I'd sure appreciate it! Jay