Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:07 AM   #1

Bambie Look-a-like

Wild Free Ranging

It two trips to finally get a keeper of this late fawn. IMHO it was worth the time he is a real CUTIE. If I had got him the first afternoon I wouldn't of gotten to go back the 2nd afternoon. Extra time out in the woods is a GOOOOD thing.

No question their legs and ears seem to grow the fastest.

They are always pretty close to mom.

The best one word description I can think of is CURIOUS

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2

What a lovely part of the world you live in Roger.

Great shots.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:56 PM   #3

& yet another great series, Roger!! I keep telling my wife that you can never spend too much time in the woods but SOMEHOW I just haven't been able to persuade her into my point of view! :G:G:GLooks like that young fellow is nothing but legs & nose! Momma is going to fun keeping track of him.

THanks for sharing,
Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:08 PM   #4

Nice series Roger, I like the last one the best, it looks like he is posing for you.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:28 PM   #5

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
What a lovely part of the world you live in Roger.

Great shots.

Dal
YUP!!! as far as I am concerned I live in a GREAT place. Beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife. Everything I need to be happy.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:40 PM   #6

I have had a couple of folks ask me about how I get in close enough to get some of the wildlife photos I get.
Here are a couple of hints and I used some of these tips on the Bambi Look-a-Like photos.

How I find them

The first thing I always do when checking out a area that is new or that I don't already know pretty well is find some high spots and go to work with my binoculars & then my spotting scope. I have found the best time is about daylight and then again about dark. What I am trying to do is pattern them. Once I THINK I have a pattern figured out I start tying to pick a good spot for my ambush using my binoculars again. Over the years I have found that if you do not disturb wildlife they will pretty much stay in the area they have chosen until it is time to move to another area for water, food, shelter or weather.
Normally I do 2 or 3 trips to the same spotting area before I try to ambush them. To a lot of folks this probably seems like a lot of wasted time but for me it is the most important part of getting a keeper photograph. Knowing what you subject is likely to do and when he or she is likely to do it is IMHO is probably the most important thing about getting a keeper wildlife photo. The real big bonus is you get to be out in the woods and that is a good thing even on the days you don't see anything and I do have those see nothing days.
This is what I do and what I think no more or no less. I am not trying to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. I am sure a lot of you have different techniques that work well for you and when it comes to getting photos everyone should do what works best for them.
Bottom line IMHO is:

1. Spend the time to understand your subject

2. Good binoculars and a good spotting scope are more important than your camera.
3. When you do move in for your ambush, move as slow as you can and only move when the subject is not looking in your direction. Once you have learned to move real slow cut that spend in half. In the dark timber I never take more than two steps before I stop and glass from standing, 1/2 way down and then on my knees.

Slow enough to stalk wildlife.

How to learn what is slow enough.

Here is how I taught myself to move slowly in the woods. If you will practice this in different terrain you will soon realize what slow is or end up with broken bones.

Once you have some thing spotted and it is time to try and get a little closer and the wind is correct.
raise your binoculars and just before you put them to your eyes look at the next 10 yards or so then put them to your eyes and take a slow step. Your will find you are feeling with your foot where to put it down. Keep your binoculars on the animals head area and if he moves his eyes, ears or nose stop until they are again still and not towards you.
Some of you guys may laugh at this idea but a gunny sack SKIRT that hangs down to the ground is also very helpful if you have to cross open areas. Animals will notice your legs moving first if the wind is correct for a stalk.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7

Wonderful series, and interesting about how to find and stalk wildlife.

I now know why I don't have many pictures of deer - definitely don't have the time or patience it takes to do this. Maybe when I finally retire I can try this out properly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:42 AM   #8

wadue wrote:
Quote:
& yet another great series, Roger!! I keep telling my wife that you can never spend too much time in the woods but SOMEHOW I just haven't been able to persuade her into my point of view! :G:G:GLooks like that young fellow is nothing but legs & nose! Momma is going to fun keeping track of him.

THanks for sharing,
Ron

Good luck Ron on convincing the wife that you really would be a better, more generous & this will allow you to spend more quality time with her.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:52 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Nice series Roger, I like the last one the best, it looks like he is posing for you.

Tim
I used my crow call so he was looking for the crow. Tim thanks for the kind words and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:16 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful series, and interesting about how to find and stalk wildlife.

I now know why I don't have many pictures of deer - definitely don't have the time or patience it takes to do this. Maybe when I finally retire I can try this out properly.
I guess I am pretty lucky when I am in the woods I have no idea what hurry is. Thanks for the nice comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger