Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:36 PM   #1

while in a discussion about how to fix the foggy lens i got from the LT this came up about how to help a lens with small scratches or pitting.. sounds like an idea. i'll be trying it soon because i tried a different solution and it helped a lot.

I have a suggestion you might consider. Try spraying the etched
glass with "Lemon Pledge" and very lightly polish it off. An oculist
many years ago recommended that to me in lieu of the various (usually
unsuccessful) resin coatings touted to fill tiny scratches and other
surface imperfections on eyeglasses. He said that he used it
routinely on fine optical surfaces. I have been using it on my
eyeglasses regularly for perhaps 20 years and on filters for the last
several years. If it doesn't fix the problem, it washes off with
soap and water or isopropyl alcohol and you haven't risked anything.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:53 PM   #2

got some lemon pledge today.. used it on my specs that are full of all these almost invisible scratches. WOW!!!!!!! never,ever expected the results i got. if you have cleaning marks on your lens, this will eliminate them. how long does it last. time will tell. C'est la Vie

roy
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:09 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
got some lemon pledge today.. used it on my specs that are full of all these almost invisible scratches. WOW!!!!!!!* never,ever expected the results i got. if you have cleaning marks on your lens, this will eliminate them. how long does it last. time will tell. C'est la Vie

roy
Roy,

I believe your A300mm is pretty scratched too at the front/No harm done even if it does not work. It may work as a layer of clear wax may diminish if not eliminate the scratch

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:26 PM   #4

daneil,
the scratched A*300/4 is history here since yesterday.. i was just outside testing the tak300/4 with a 1.4x-s to see what it was capable of. this will be my light weight 300mm. i do hate it's minimum close focus of 18' tho

roy
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:27 PM   #5

Yeah... Roy, too bad you didn't find this info before selling the old A*300
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:03 PM   #6

Roy I think your A* was too far gone for lemon pledge possibly one of those places that fix windshield chips would have helped, but not pledge.

It is amazing though how much damage can be visable on a lens and it still works. Kind of makes fussing about some dust on the lens glass a waste of time.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:09 AM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Roy I think your A* was too far gone for lemon pledge possibly one of those places that fix windshield chips would have helped, but not pledge.

It is amazing though how much damage can be visable on a lens and it still works. Kind of makes fussing about some dust on the lens glass a waste of time.

Tom
Have used Pledge or Favor for many years now on Plexiglass and Lexan to fill and clean scratches. Worked for several years building boats and we hand formed the windshields with a heat gun on a plywood form. The enevetable scratches were filled with the wax in the Pledge and disappeared for a while. Still do it with the CNC lathes at work and some of the machine guarding and surounds there. Works wonders but it is not permanent!! Almost any wax will do even car care types. Got to be careful there as some chemicals can react with the coatings and remove them and some have a bit of abrasivness to remove the dull film on older painted surfaces. Pledge or Favor are a lot safer and do a cleaning of the old wax at each application.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:52 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
My Pentax 28mm f2.2 K lens from my K1000 has a ratherlargechip on the rear element, and it still takes decent photo's, I have not seen any distorsion on any pictures taken with it.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:06 AM   #9

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom
My Pentax 28mm f2.2 K lens from my K1000 has a ratherlargechip on the rear element, and it still takes decent photo's, I have not seen any distorsion on any pictures taken with it.
to avoid flare on this lens you might want to take some water base black paint and paint out the chip. all it's doing now is degrading the image. on my 300 i used a black marks-a-lot. try it and see doing a before and after shot with the lens pointed in the suns direction with no hood. damage to the front lens would be worse.

nick, i heard this about 2 hours after posting the lens. i've sent him the info. i hope it helps.

i've also been told to use cerium oxide in a water base. problem with this is that it does remove some glass so you need to keep your rubbing uniform thru out the glass surface.

roy
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:31 AM   #10

It doesn't get much use since I got my K10D, but I will give it a try as I still use my K1000 occasionally around the house taking photo's of/with my son with it. Thanks
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote